Coil Over install & mod.'d perch's

I just finished installing the coil overs on the quest & thought I'd share these.I did the set up like Andy W suggeted, except I welded both sides of the 2&1/8 sleeve to the 2&1/4 exhaust flange before putting it on the shock in place of the factory perch. I used a sawzall to remove the factory perch's, making sure not to cut threw into the shock itself. These leaves the weld on the housing where the new flange can rest.The factory shocks were copletely gone, wouldnt even return after being pushed down (rebound). Man, this thing works great & has NO movement what so ever.

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/486/coiloverinplace0as.th.jpg

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1756/coilspaceronshock9lt.th.jpg

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/1337/coilspacer1xp.th.jpg

Yeah, thats the camber plate up there for now. Not completely road worthy yet. I've got to order new boots to go over the shocks. Im going to mod the hat like Andy & Art suggested, & will get some pics. of that up for everyone.

I honestly thought this was going to be more complex than it was, so far this was a breeze. Welding the spacer to the moded exhaust flange made this thing solid as a rock. Thanks Chrome.

Is this just done to the back or the can it be done to the front also. Reason I ask is cause when I put my coilovers in the front they sat crooked so I didn't install them in the front.

I just finished installing the coil overs on the quest & thought I'd share these.

Looks good bro..

I think you're running the same setup I am.. GR2's, art's coils(?) and rear c. plates.. Lemme guess, you have Cusco plates on the front also.. :D

So, have you put them to the test yet?

It was such a night and day difference the first time I drove on them..

I'm glad it worked for you. I like the welded solid idea, I may have to tear mine down and redo it. You will also notice doing this setup that there will be no knocking or banging around from the coils. All is flush and tight.

in case you are trying to run protection boots for the shocks. I think I tried a few and one that worked well was from a 2nd gen RX7 that goes over the springs. it will be hard to get one that goes inside the springs.

Why would you need to run shock boots. All the Jeep guys don't run them because if you get stuck in about 5ft of mud and have shock boots, the mud will get stuck inside the shock boot and lead to corrosion.

I figure, every time you wash the car, shoot the underbody too.

Why would you need to run shock boots. All the Jeep guys don't run them because if you get stuck in about 5ft of mud and have shock boots, the mud will get stuck inside the shock boot and lead to corrosion.

I figure, every time you wash the car, shoot the underbody too.

You are very correct. Those boots hold in moisture and cause long term problems.

Thanks for the info on this Andy, & thanks for the tip on the boots Art.

If anyone is thinking about a set up like this I would deffinately reccomend it, like everyone's stated this is a solid set up, & can be done fairly easily. :wink:

Just Paus, Yeah Im running the same set up but Im going with the front plates Oscar's having made. He hooked me up on the rears also.

• 4 weeks later...
Just got back from taking the quest out for the first run with the new kyb gr2's & cosmo coil over install, & man she handle's great & the ride is nice & smooth. The fronts have yet to be installed but there is no rattles or clanking @ all from the rears!!!! :D