Griffin radi. with hose #

questnc

I just installed a Griffin alluminum radi. in my 86 TSI.If you can remove the old radiator & fans, then this should be no problem to install. Like someone else posted the radi. cap hits in one small place which is bracing under the hood itself. Solved this with small ball ping hammer. I left the original radi. support in its factory location and modded a allum. bracket across the top to hold it in place, plus it hides the gap between the radi. & front frame. I also had a bung welded to the lower pass. side of the radi. to accept the factory fan sensor. Or you can run the flex fan & skip that.The lower hose I found @ advance auto item # 5197562 hose #B71011. cost $8.75 with tax. Only had to trim about a 1in. off end going to water pump. This hose was 1&3/8 on pump end & 1&3/4 on other end to radi.. Had to fabricate 2 brackets out of allum. to hold the factory fan in place, but here she is.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/troyshan/det...jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/troyshan/det...jpg&.src=ph

I cant answer that, but I was wondering why everyone was looking for the 2 & 3 row radiators when I have seen several V8 quest on here using the stock radiator. Wouldnt this 1 row cool more than the stock??? Mine does!! I drove it for over 2 hours today & this is the coolest my car has ever ran.

Doesnt some of the other members here have the same one core Griffin @ half the cost, with the same results as mine???? Sorry bro I cant help ya out on that. But it does work perfect..for me.

Just my 2 cents. :?

Wouldnt a V8 power'd quest produce much more heat than a 4 cyl. turbo quest????? Doesnt allum. discipate heat more quickly than copper?? I think the proffesor has this set up & has had no complaints. I gave $159.00 for the radiator & $40.00 to weld the sensor bung. $199.00 & about 1 hour on brackets.

i cant tell from the pictures how you have installed your fan but if there is anything more than 1/8" of space between the fan and the radiator the air tends to slip through those sides instead of through the radiator and you loose major cooling. you will have to use some kind of weatherstripping to seal that space.

Thanks for the tip Art ,I have a few strips on there to hold it off but Ill go back & run it all the way like you stated. I cant believe how much better this thing cools over the factory radiator. Fan hardly ever comes on now. Thanks again bro.

the true test will come when sumer hits.

ive got the griffin with 2 rows of 1" tubes and i have a hard time getting the car to warm up even with a 190 thermostat. i dont think my fan has ran in a few weeks since its been pretty cold. even in the summer i dont think my temps under boost and driving the hell out of it ever reached 190-195. im not entirely certain the single row will cool quite as good as the 2 row unit even tho it will be better than stock.

art is right about sealing the fan close to the radiator. when i first put mine together i couldnt get much cooling action from the fan and come to find out i had to shroud my fan and close up the gaps around it to make the air come thru the rad. instead of around the fan. after closing it up my fans run about 45 seconds to drop the temps from 210 down to 190.

a two row radiator has two acual cooling ducts for the coolant to run though. So, there is more surface area for the coolant to touch. This in theory will allow the coolant to change temperature faster, and then cool your motor better.

Does it acutally work? yes

Is it acutually worth the money? probably not