Seat relocation.

Maxzillian

I have a question for you all. Do any of you know or have heard of a way to lower the drivers seat down to a lower position? At 6'5" I just barely fit in my car and if I have to wear a helmet I usually end out slouching in the car to keep the helmet from pressing into the ceiling.

I've been thinking about this for a while and it looks like it wouldn't be too hard of a conversion. Most likely I'd end up rewelding the rear bracket mounts so that they attach to the bottom of the floor pan and essentially just drop the back of the seat so I can keep some good thigh support.

However, before I go too crazy, I wanted to know if anyone has done this before and if so, are there any tips to it. Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...
Yeah, I've been looking at it recently and I don't think there's much that can be done with the stock seat. With the seat controls on the side it's already too wide to drop down very far at all. Anyway, I'll go take a second look at it tomorrow and see if I can come down to a final verdict.

Well in my case it's not a problem with the wheel at all. The problem is when I have to wear a helmet for autocrossing and suddenly I'm missing about an inch of needed headroom. :lol:

Heck, I've made a habit of driving the car with a hat on right now so that my hair doesn't rub against the ceiling and drive me insane.

• 2 months later...

I did my drivers seat, I'm 6'1" and felt like I was sitting on the car, not in it. The rear was lowered almost 2" if I remember correctly and the front 1". It was basically just cutting out the extra in the mounts and rewelding them. I did have to change the rear passenger side mount, just drilled a hole lower in the transmission tunnel, bolted it in place and spot welded the nut onto the transmission tunnel from the underside. The seat controls still work but just barely, the forward/back slider level sits up a bit but it does lock down whereever you set it. I also raised the seat back by pulling off the seat cover and cutting and welding a 2" extension into the sides. The plastic pivot covers don't sit over the pivots any more but no one seems to notice. It was a great mod, now the seat fits me and the car is far more comfortable to drive.

Scott