COILOVER INSTALLATION

i dunno, but i have the artinist oil covers and the rattled something fierce. i didn't install the origional spring hats in front, or the rear pillow mounts. solid mount in the back and in the front is the stock bearing mount.

i had a friend with a Tig welder and a lathe cut me some nice little spacers out of Al. and weld them to the top hats included with Art's springs. they should take care of a lot of rattling. I'll get the fronts done next time i have time to take it apart. but i had the rear apart anyway, so i did that as well.

I don't understand how some of you guys get rattles?

You did use the included rubber bands and big rubber o-rings right?

The top hat is what rattles, but the suspension must be unloaded and then loaded again. The top hat will come off the spring slightly when unloaded, and clank a bit when it seats back again.. Ziptie the top hat to the spring, so the movement is eradicated..

Mine have only rattled once, when I first installed them and backed out of my driveway.. one clunk and that was it. :?

Maybe the roads here are smoother or something..

oh, i gaurantee the roads are smoother there - no frost heaves or pot holes from water seeping in and freezing, then breaking the road surface.

i used the electrical tape around the shock method. i also used one of the rubber o-rings, but they were hard to get in there. I zip tied the hats this time.

it had to have been those washers and nuts in there. i mean come on. that worked as a spacer, it was ghetto.

• 2 weeks later...

AN UPDATE ON THIS:

I have been fortunate to drive my starion after the FIP conversion, and I have not had any problems whatsover with the coilovers so far. My ride height is great, mainly beacause its not slammed, My Airdam has cleared everything so far, even my 3" exhuast does too except some monsterous speed bumps.

Im still using the stock top hat with the rear coilovers ( no aluminum top hat) and no clunking, no rattle, although I will change it later on, but this was just to show wether the Mookeeh Guy was right and he is.

I have sped over decent humps to see any clunking at extreme conditions and None YET! This is with the stock wheels by the way, I will be putting the 18's on with fresh tires in a week or so(which shouldnt really matter just tighter clearances with the 18's). The only thing I would have wanted to go away is the little bit of bounce. Other than that the car rides smooth, handles well. Dont forget that I have changed most bushings in the suspension as well, and the struts/shocks are brand new tockico blues!

• 2 weeks later...