re-wireing a 88 knock box for 87?

forsfed26

The knock box in my 87 starion recently crapped out so I found another box out a an 88 starion.  I heard that the box can be re-wired to work on an 87.  So I would just like to know how to re-wire it for my 87.  Thanks.

I did this same thing to my '86, and both Charlie and Shelby are correct.  No big deal to snip off the '86 plug and then match all the wires up (but two) to the '88 or '89 plug.  No more knock box problems ;D

As far as the two blacks and two whites, there should be only 1 black.  Basically, just compare the locations to match up the correct two whites.  Spot #3 is black, #5 will be deleted, #6 and #7 are the two whites, and #10 will be deleted.  I'm numbering those simply by looking down at my mounted connection, across the top, then across the bottom.  Your old plug should be damn similar to the '88 plug.  Good luck, and don't feel intimidated!  It's nothing big! ;)    ;D   ;D

how do you know when the inginitor box is bad, does the car just stall when you drive it for a little bit. because that is what my 87 did and now it just cranks and does not start, i had to have it towed home

There's quite a bit of info on this issue, if you research previous posts.  FYI, what happened to your '87 could definately be the black box.  As you would learn if you read up all the posts, anyone who has an 87 or earlier is wise to always carry an extra knock box, in case it ever gives a problem.  They're not all that expensive.  Also, if you have the 88 or 89 one, with the mating plug,  you may as well just mount it to your 87.  Even if there is another unrelated problem, you'll always be able to be more relaxed about your knock box.  Good advice I can give you is to keep reading and reading and reading this site, and I know you'll learn a whole lot.  I still do! ;)     ;D

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Incidentally, by "both sides of it," I meant the 88 or 89 box and the mating plug.  Sounded kinda odd when I reread it.  Sorry.  ;)  As far as I'm concerned, this upgrade should be considered as MANDITORY!   ;D   ;D