Email notification?

Ratmtattat

While I enjoy having the option of having an email sent out to you to notify of a reply to a thread you've posted on, I think that there is some room to improve this.

When you want an email notification, you get one for EVERY SINGLE POST that's made on the subject, except for ones you yourself make.  This can get annoying when you've got 20 copies of the same email notification.  What I suggest is, if you can, modify the way the emails are sent out so that you only get one email to notify you that a thread has been updated.  Then you can go and see all of the posts that have been made.  This way you can save having to sort through the tons of copies of emails and the system would still be as effecient.  Tell me if you guys can do this or not. Thanks.

Jason

Edit:  You would receive another notification of an update to a thread whenever you log on and visit the site.

The problem I see with this is determining just exactly what triggers an email to you.

If for example you were watching  a particular thread and ten people post to it, which of those ten postings is going to trigger an email?

Hmm...I'd guess the first reply you get would be the trigger.  I was just saying this because I just joined Ricecop.com the other day, and their system is like this, and thought it was very effecient, and I enjoy that it doesn't clog up your inbox.  Would it be possible to do this?

Jason

• 1 month later...

How about giving members the option of removing themselves from email notification regarding replies to a topic thread?  Let's say I no longer want to be notified of postings to a topic that I am no longer interested in... it is my understanding that there is no "un-notify" button we can select at the bottom of a post to remove ourselves from email notification.  Does it seem likely that this feature would prove useful to others?

Please advise.

Thanks!