headlights - non pop up upgrade

superhomes

WOTDrifter, that was johnfjamerson (sp?).

I also had made a set for myself, but they were unfinished, and as they were, they didn't look very good, so I took them off over Thanksgiving.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTEwNzEwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTExODgzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Spent about a hundred bucks, and drilled 6 holes.  I was wanting to finish them, but I know I'm too lazy to do that anytime soon, so I swapped back to the factory pop-ups.

Artinists' kit will be awsome, if he ever gets it done ;) (just messing with you art), but the $400 estimate he's given us was a little steep for me, and I didn't feel like waiting, so I made a set of my own.  had everything ready for quite a while, then had them on in a few hours of work.  

It can be done, for fairly cheap to, you just have to plan out everything. I struggled with an idea on how to secure the clear covers.  Granted, my idea worked, but my exicution wasn't very good.

Have Fun

Derek

How about using a headlight cover and keeping the top half, haveing a straight piece of lexan going down from the 'half' lid and using a half height light like the camero lenses.  Im looking at the front end thinking we can keep the line from the front header across the lights and use the upper piece.  That way no funky bending of lexan is needed.  Im looking at it it looks doable.. :)  

How about using a headlight cover and keeping the top half, haveing a straight piece of lexan going down from the 'half' lid and using a half height light like the camero lenses.  Im looking at the front end thinking we can keep the line from the front header across the lights and use the upper piece.  That way no funky bending of lexan is needed.  Im looking at it it looks doable.. :)  

Someone has done that, but I think he used the factory sized lights (I think).  You would have to cut it a little further down than the top of the hear panel if you don't want to bend anything.

I did use smaller lights though.  They are 4"x6.5" or so dual beam.  4666 style I think, not too sure though.  Their beam almost completely cleared everything.  I could have positioned the light about 1/4" to 1/2" higher, and it would have cleared completely.  I may get to play with them some more over next summer (school in Cleveland without car, Jan 9th to early May).  I hade to create a jumper for these lights though, their tabs to plug them in was slightly different, and I spent $25-30 on new pigtail plugs for a 95 s-10 pickup I believe.

Derek

There is a yellow one on here with the half ones, looks mean. I like Dereks conversion (even though he doesnt :)) better than the Prelude looking one. It just doesnt seem to fit right with the front of our cars. I would love to see a xenon conversion in the front fog lights so you wouldnt have to open the lights if you didnt want to...

I have pics of that yellow one somewhere...

Brett.. That's my master plan.. HID on the fogs AND the headlights(preferably flush mounted)..  $400 for the HID system with whatever type bulbs you need.. H3 for the fogs and H4 for the headlights...  There's really no down side to HID's, besides the initial cost(and replacement bulb cost if anything happens..)  They're brighter, crisper AND suck up less power than conventional bulbs..

My lips are sealed though.. ;)

I like John's prelude conversion personally.. Right when I got my car, that was the first type I was envisioning.. Different strokes for different folks.. ;D  Although I believe Art's are gonna be VERY nice.. That's all I'll say about that.. ;)

I too liked john's car, until he spraypainted the black all over it, the lines just made the car ugly (no offence to you john if you see this)

I liked mine, but not unfinished as they are. ;)  I need to redo the covers when ever I get back to working on them (summer maybe).

Sorry, not for sale, but I can get you a list of everything I used if you want.

Derek

hey, JustPaus... are you talking about the yellow one on cardomain?  those lights are SICK.  exactly how i want mine to look.  to tell the truth, i've been driving around at night with just my fogs and they're bright enouch for me to see very well, but i want some flush mounted lights as well.  i'm wanting the ones like the yellow one on car domain  8)

Maybe I need to see the finished prelude mod, I only saw the semi-final product.

Yeah John HID's rule... :) I have a new set of Hellas for my M3. They are a direct plug & play item and are so sweet-bixexnons with the xenon halos, installing in spring ;D

Where would you get your kit for the fogs?

There is a non pop up headlight conversion for the Porsche 944. I'm sure I could find it although its probrobly expensive. Have you guys ever seen it? looks nice, Porsche used them on factory race cars too...

Brett

I too liked john's car, until he spraypainted the black all over it, the lines just made the car ugly (no offence to you john if you see this)

I liked mine, but not unfinished as they are. ;)  I need to redo the covers when ever I get back to working on them (summer maybe).

[glow=red,2,300]Sorry, not for sale, but I can get you a list of everything I used if you want.[/glow]

Derek

That would be cool too! Can you pm me all the info on what's needed?

Thanks, Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

Here are all the pics I have of my Stationary lights:

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=41

And here is a pic of the list of stuff I used:

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10030/DSCF1004.jpg

The only things on not on the list are the pieces of aluminum and the pop rivets I used to secure the plexi-glass.

Sorry it took me so long, I kinda forgot about this thread.

Derrek