Struts and stuff, questions...

KO

Ok a while back Ilber sent me a like new Tokico strut, today I dropped it in the cartridge, screwed the large nut in tightly and the thing had about 1/2" of play in the canister, you could move it up and down. Then I realize the nut that goes on the top of the strut does not fit the thread size of the Tokico strut, the nut fits my factory strut fine but not the Tokico, is there any way this Tokico is the wrong strut all together? I think I'll just get a set of KYB's for the fronts. I've got this thing apart and I'm ready to get it together with some fresh rotors/ calipers/pads/struts. While I'm at it, what's up with the bumper stops? Taki sent me some brand new ones (thanks again Taki!) but I don't get it, you slide them on and it fits on the actual piston but it can slide up and down, what's it stopping from "bumping"? Man those sound like newbie questions but hey they are, this is the first time I've dug into the suspension on any vehicle.

Thanks, KO

Alright Newbie ;D

The bump stop may be able to move up and down but it should fit tight enough that it stays in one place, at the top, or you could glue it to the top perch.  The bump stop is there to prevent a hard thwack of the spring getting all the way compressed or the strut top running into the top perch or perhaps the tire into the wheel well or something like that.  

On the Tokico strut, it should have a silver bushing on the bottom end of it.  If this is missing, or cut wrong it would be loose in the casing.  This bushing usually has to be shaved in order to get a perfect fit in the housing, such that the large nut doesn't thread all the way down on the housing but instead tightens down on the cartridge.

Steve