move A/C controls and mount a stereo there

I did that. But I tossed all the ac/heater stuff aswell.

I used a Pioneer deck that I already had, normal size not double din or anything.  It fits perfect from top to bottom. The radio itself will have a outer metal sheathing, with little tabs that can be folded up to lock in the radio. That's all I did at first. But it leaves a 1-1.5 inch gap at one side, if the radio is slid all the way to one side.

I eventually made a flat piece of thin plastic to hold the radio. But now i'm going to make a one piece flat panel out of carbon fiber. I'll cut out the inner vents and mount gauges there.

I've seen a thread that someone had switched the radio and heater controls spot...

• 3 weeks later...

You can do that, but it sure makes easy access to your stereo if someone breaks into your car, unlike the stock location.

I personally don't recommend it.

heat may also be an issue.  tha VW Golf had a radio mounted in a similar location. My buddy had nothing but trouble in the summer with the sun beating down on the dash and cooking the electronics.  very easy to do though. I moved the controls and used the space for gauges.

the gold box will fit in a dingle din sleeve.  I used the factory brackets and secured the sleeve(s) to it.  I also had a ac display that had the mounting tabs broke off.  That allows it to fit in the same sleeve as the box.  Use the tabs on the sleeve to secure the display in the position you want it.  if I get a chance, I'll take some pics.

You can do that, but it sure makes easy access to your stereo if someone breaks into your car, unlike the stock location.

I personally don't recommend it.

If someone wants your stereo, They are going to get it (in my experience). Short of leaving it set on the front seat,  It really doesn't matter where you mount it.  I had a thief destroy the entire dash in a Monte to retrieve a "cleverly installed" stereo.

Just put it where it is most convenient for you.

If someone wants your stereo, They are going to get it (in my experience). Short of leaving it set on the front seat,  It really doesn't matter where you mount it.  I had a thief destroy the entire dash in a Monte to retrieve a "cleverly installed" stereo.

You are right there.

But I'm also speaking from personal experiance.

My new Starion had this mod already done to it.

Believe it or not, within 20 minutes of getting her home from LA to my place in Salem Oregon, the car was broken into.

It became far to obvious to me that the stereo in this paticular install was not much more than just sitting in the HVAC's original position.

Maybe if it had been in the stock position, it would have taken them longer and I might of caught the basstards.

I do also wonder about the heat issue that has been brought up many times, but at the same time, the HVAC seems to be doing alright in that spot after 15 or so years.

Visibility is an issue.  They can't steal what they can't see (easily).  I see your point.  as for the controller, it doesn't generate any heat like the amps in a stereo either.  Perhaps all that would be needed is a fan or something, or maybe not a problem at all.  Might be worth a try with a cheap stereo first to make sure.

Like I said before, my deck is where the heater controls used to be... Ok, I live in AZ...  Is that enough heat for you?  Top it off, my dash is black...  My deck has never shut off or failed in anyway, for the three years it's been there...