OK audiophiles help me out here.

offalot

OK heres the challenge the car Im "building now, I gutted the interior, it will have racinig seats  and the stock dash (lightened , I may make some light weight paneling to hide all the expsed metal holes and such where all the leather vinyl used to go , Anyway heres my question. I want ot put a good sounding system in the car yet keep the weight down to a minimum.  this means as few speakers as possible ine only the neccesay locations , the lightest stuff ( but stuff that wont break the bank)  and simplicity, I preffer using one 10" as my sub beigs as I already ahve it but am open to suggestions. I am also decent with fiberglass if that helps. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

Tim

I would go with some decent mids and highs but nothing too serious. Actually most of the cheaper stuff will be lighter than the more expensive stuff. Competition type speakers are gonna have huge magnets for the extra power. If you get some middle priced kenwoods, sonys, alpine etc... they will be good quality but lower weight.

You say you are good w/fiberglass so I think if you use it on the replacement panels and maybe even build your sub box out of it uou could save some weight there. It is very hard to build a fiber sub box and make the walls dense enough to keep it fromm flexing. If I were you, I would build a normal sub box made of 3/4 MDF.

Another option is to replace your sub. If you found a sub that needs less airspace than your average sub that can help to. Smaller airspace= smaller box= less weight.

hope this stuff helps. Let me know if you want some more info.

This is tough becouse great sound systems are weight.  Also by removing most of your interior you've affected how well your system will sound.  If your trying to create a race car then delete the stereo system all together.  Another alternative would be to create a mobile sound system that can be removed easily when you race.  Talk more about what your intentions are as far as the car and how it is driven.

Good luck.

gary