Speaker question for the sound guys

UlrichWolf

It's like this....

I disconnected the dash speakers in my '88 Starion, since they were blown to hell, and sure didn't feel like replacing them.  So I put a set of Polk Audio 5.25's in the front door, with the swivel tweeter.

I bought some Infinity 6.5's yesterday to replace the rear speakers.  They also have the swivel tweeter.  Will these speakers go well together, and will I get halfway decent imaging out of this?

I'm using the stocker tape player for my head unit, and it works very well, it feels like it wants to throbulate the car if it had good speakers.

Thanks for the advice.

Tim

do you have crossovers to go with them , if so they should work well togather , i have done many mixed up setups with tweeters front and rear , but do you have a sub , if not it might have a problem with only producing the mids and the highs ,

Well, since you've already bought the speakers, I'd say let your ear's be the judge.

Becuase, sound is very subjective, unfortunatly... sort-of, anyway.

What kind of Infinitys did you get?

Reference or Kappa?

I know the Infinity Kappa's have a external computer voice matched crossover (there's some techno-babble for ya'. ;) ) so that the frequency split will supposedly match other speakers from the same model line.

Not sure how they'd match up with Polk speakers though.

Personally, I've always thought it helped sound to have different speakers with different characteristic's to deliver a fuller sound, but that's just me.

I'm actually matching up some Infinity Kappa's in my '88, just becuase they sound so good.

I've got the 63.5i 6.5"er's in the back, and a set of 52.5i 5.25"er's in the mail for the doors.

BTW, if you haven't done it before, be prepared to take at-least half the day to install those rear deck speakers. :P

Talk about tearing half the car apart. :(

i just had to add something in there about the amazing roof of boom , sorry , but i am running boston midranges with boston crossovers and polk tweeters , and jensen rear speakers in my quest , i think it sounds great , and i used to build systems for people , one of them won an award once , so i am sure you will have no problem , but i do recomend subs for the lows , just don't over sub it like most people do , a little bass is good , to much and all you hear is , boom , boom , boom

Well, since you've already bought the speakers, I'd say let your ear's be the judge.

Becuase, sound is very subjective, unfortunatly... sort-of, anyway.

What kind of Infinitys did you get?

Reference or Kappa?

I know the Infinity Kappa's have a external computer voice matched crossover (there's some techno-babble for ya'. ;) ) so that the frequency split will supposedly match other speakers from the same model line.

Not sure how they'd match up with Polk speakers though.

Personally, I've always thought it helped sound to have different speakers with different characteristic's to deliver a fuller sound, but that's just me.

I'm actually matching up some Infinity Kappa's in my '88, just becuase they sound so good.

I've got the 63.5i 6.5"er's in the back, and a set of 52.5i 5.25"er's in the mail for the doors.

BTW, if you haven't done it before, be prepared to take at-least half the day to install those rear deck speakers. :P

Talk about tearing half the car apart. :(

Truth be told, they were an impulse buy.  They are the Reference series, 6002i model.

I bought them at Fry's, and they didn't carry the Kappa line, else I would have bought those, as that is what I wanted.  However, the Polks weren't my choice.  I was given those for free, and said screw it.....free is free, and they hit hard enough to shake the door mirrors, and rearrange the crap in my door pockets.

Now, all of the speakers have the swivel stuff.  Any tips on aiming?  The Polks are aimed at the driver, so I guess I should aim the Infinitys towards the front of the car...right?  Using a bit of logic, but that doesn't mean that it's right.

Tim

i think you have a good combination.  6.5s normally have pretty good low and mid and the tweeters will complete the full range.  i had infinity/polk combination in my old truck and they sounded great, i also have polks in my quest and in my bronco.

-Jason

I'm not sure on aiming, never worked with speakers that had that capability before.

But from what I've heard, a good place to start is with the tweet's aimed at the listener's position.

You'll be able to mount up the rear speakers without putting the rear deck back in place if you want to play with the adjustment to see what you like best.

Keep in mind though, that the bass will be very lacking until the rear section of the car is completely re-assembled.

Post back with what works good for ya'.

My 52.5i's with the swivel tweeter's will be showing up on Monday. ;D

Well, popped them in today, and wow!

The highs on these things are unbelievable.  I had to totally readjust the EQ on the radio to make it good.  If you pump up the bass, it will throbbulate the car, but it's not super-bass.

I aimed the tweeters toward the front of the car, and it works pretty good.

However, there is a pretty nasty hole up front.  Guess I'm going to have to get some surface mount tweeters to put somewhere.

Tim

Try to aim everything to the middle of the car right over the console armrest. This is where your "sound stage" is supposed to be.

A seperate set of tweeters at the top of the doors or on top of the dash will raise the stage up slightly in the front. My factorys still work in the top of the dash and even with some serious power sound excellent. They really seem to fill all the gaps.

Replacing the Rear deck speakers did take about half a day for me... But while I was at it, I hacked up the mounts to fit 6x9 and went with the Pioneer TS-A6999  3ways with horn tweeters, bad speakers MSRP 220.00, picked them up off ebay for 80$

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pe/produ...9_32624,00.html

I think the best speaker for the rear is a 6x9, a tight fit but possible, results are worth it.