Dynamat over OEM Asphalt?

GoldNBlack

I'm in the process of covering the rear hatch area with some Dynamat Extreme and thought about going ahead and doing the passenger compartment.  Should I remove the factory asphalt stuff first?  IN places like the rear seat area its real spotty and I'm not sure how effective it is or the dynamat would be if I covered over it?  Or will it be a zero tradeoff to repalce it with the Dynamat?

Steve

just dynamat the hatch where its bare,

your not going to notice a difference "at least i never have"

sometimes that junk helps calm down the out side noise but for the most part its not needed..

if you realy want a effective solution you can get a can of ruber type liquid

"its used mainly to put a rubber coat on plastic tool handles"

i forget what its called but most tool places should know what your asking for just tell them you need to coat your plastic handle tools with rubber.

but take that stuff and paint it on the places you want it.. watch getting around bolt holes.. you dont want that stuff harding up down in the hole because then you cant tighten up the bolts/screws

also this will help insulate your car from outside noise and weather conditions..

You will gain nothing by dynamating over the factory deadner. It is already as good as dyna mat. In fact you can cover the large areas in the back with dynamat then fill in the other bare areas with the rubber stuff distored clarity was talking about. In fact if your doing it to get rid of vibration you only need a 3'' square piece for every square foot of metal. You only need solid sheets if you're trying to eliminate road noise

Thanks guys,

The back is done, decided to just use some new insulation mats under the rear seat and passenger compartment.  Decided the weight I would save switching to the dynamat after scraping off the asphalt would only be about 4 lbs.  Not worth the effort.  I'll just put some in the doors and maybe some spot treatment around where I find any rattles.  

It is mostly road noise I'm looking to get rid of.  It didn't do much to quiet the 3" exhuast, maybe a little, but coasting down the road does seem better, could be a placebo effect though ;-)

Steve