Boost and A/F gauges. What type?

gtxthunder

I like the Autometer.  I looked at the VDO and they look cool, but(and correct me if I'm wrong) the die hard racers around here quit using them when the German based company sold the name to a Chineese manufacturer.  They claim that the quality was compromised considerably vs. the previous product.

I've never heard that before, but it's entirely possible. It sure didn't affect the cost of the higher line stuff! :)

For some reason the looks of all of the autometer gauges just turn me off, but I'm sure they are of good quality too. I know lots of people that run them.

• 1 month later...

I am using the Matrix gauges. They seem to work just fine for what I need. The boost gauge is $22 and is accurate. I also got the coolant temp to keep an eye on the true temp of the engine and not rely on the stock gauge. I do also have a Autometer A/F gauge.

http://images.andale.com/f2/101/125/7563176/1038284662994_ALL_CARBON.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Autometer Cobalt gauges. Boost and A/F is what I am running.

Sarc,

Nice setup but I think mine is better. I installed it on the bottom half of the 2din radio hole. The top is for my bad a** pioneer. (boost)(HKS Turbo Timer)(A/F) all in a row with custom trim. Done by me! Pics coming soon. I didnt like the pod too much. I dont like anything that cops can look at and say "Lets pull him over" Plus I just like doing things different. Dont get me wrong, your is nice too. Is that a Tach or EGT? US spec turbo timer? I bought my HKS Turbo timer right before the US spec came out, now im pissed.

Well, since I hate Pioneer, there is no way your setup can be as good as mine. :P J/K

That's cool that you went out and customized how you mounted your gauges and TT.

I would definetly like to see pics when you get em'.

In the lower pod behind the A/F is a EGT.

My Sport Comp tach is mounted so to speak to the right of the stock gauge cluster.

The TT in my car is the HKS US spec. ;D

I've got it wired into both the speed and RPM in my car.

The speed display has worked out better than I thought it would since when I drive, I usually have my left hand on top of the steering wheel, blocking my view of the stock speedo'.

The RPM is nice since it allows the TT to automatically adjust how long the TT will count down when I turn the ignition off.

Though, I don't think it's setting it long enough for real hard driving.

But that's OK, I can always just push a button one or two times and have it go to a higher setting.

Although, I had to buy HKS' 12v analog to 5v digital converter to get the RPM readout to work.

The only thing I need to do now is figure out how to get the stock security system to arm when using the TT.

According to HKS Tech, it has to do with jumpering some wires in the fuse block. :( :-/

any of the REAL japanese manufacturers will be one of the better gauges you can buy. the autometer's look good but still are pricey and for the price, IMO, i'd rather buy japanese gauges like HKS, GReddy, Blitz, etc.

Defi makes excellent gauges. they're made by Nippon Seiki, a manufacturer that makes a lot of OEM gauges in japanese vehicles.

a lot of the japanese gauges also has "stepping motor" technology. a little bit more accurate and can keep up with fluctuating readings. they also illuminate the numerals and letters when the lights are turned on, unlike autometers "regular" series that only illuminate the outer ring (sometimes making it unreadable).

just my opinion

:o Have you seen the new AutoMeter C2?? that is

the one I have gone with...

Ya, those C2 gauges are pretty good looking, white face though.

I'll probably replace my Sport Comp tach with the C2 model down the road.

I really like where the 0 starts for the RPM reading, as opposed to where it starts on most of AutoMeter's other gauges.

2 in 1?  random thought for the design engineers...how about a boost gauge who's backlighting / outer ring fluctuates in color from Red-yellow-green with A/F readings?  That would be saweeet.  8)

-Matt

2 in 1?  random thought for the design engineers...how about a boost gauge who's backlighting / outer ring fluctuates in color from Red-yellow-green with A/F readings?  That would be saweeet.  8)

-Matt

Damn dude, that would be sweet.

It would almost make more sence to tie it in with a EGT gauge though. Just my thought. That would rock though. ;D