Fuseable Links??

Quest88

When I first got my quest most if not all my engine wiring went to S#@*!. I guess one of the previous owners had the battery crack and let acid go all over the wiring and the fuseable links that sit in front of the relay box in the engine bay. Anyways I went to Pep Boys and bought a small fuse box replacement unit. I'll get the part number later for those who want to know. Anyways I went ahead and replaced the fuseable links with real Fuses and  some of my wiring is now replaced. So hey just to let you know someone is doing something about the wiring its not that bad. ALSO I HAVE HOOKED UP A BLITZ FATT ( FULL AUTO TURBO TIMER) IF ANYONE NEEDS HELP ON HOW TO SPLICE IT IN THE IGNITION I WOULD BE MORE THAT GLAD TO HELP I KNOW THE COLORS FOR THE HOOK UP. Hardwired it up myself.

Fellow Quester,

Mike T.

Hey Mike..Part numbers and pictures would be great. Did you notice any difference on the voltmeter after you were done ??

Sam

Well it started up alittle better and as far as the voltage I couldn't tell Becuase I had a real flakey alternator that I didn't replace till this year. As far as the pics go I'll have to get a scanner or a cheap a** digitial camera to get these mods up. I need to go to pep boys and get ahold of the part numbers I'll get them to ya in a couple of days.

Great job.. I NEED to replace my fusable links... I replaced one with regular wire so Im looking death right in the face.  How much did this fuse box go for?

Also, how much was the FATT?

Great job.. I NEED to replace my fusable links... I replaced one with regular wire so Im looking death right in the face.  How much did this fuse box go for?

Also, how much was the FATT?

The box was around 15 bucks plus the cost of connectors and fuses so I think about 22 bucks to do each fuseable link box. I only have one done becuase the other is still in good shape. The FATT I got for 85 bucks new threw a local speed shop PANN AUTO I guess it was an older model becuase they are usually around a Hundred. I'll post the part numbers as soon as I get a chance to go to Pep Boys.

• 4 months later...

I liked to know the parts you used too.  I was looking into this, but have not done this yet.  I'd like to also know what fuses you used too.

Here's info I got from the manual:

Permissible current

Link                                                                                      color           dia.                                                  wire size                     in engine   Other

Main  link                                            black           1.25mm     16 AWG              12 amps       22 amps

Sub2 #1 link                 red                 0.85mm     18 AWG                9 amps       17 amps

Sub2 #2 link           brown         0.30mm     22 AWG                                             --                      5 amps

Sub2 #3 link                 red                 0.85mm     18 AWG                9 amps       17 amps

Sub2 #4 link           green          0.50mm     20 AWG                7 amps       13 amps

I pulled the info from chapter 8 page 12 and 8-102.  What I wasn't sure was the "permissible current" section.  It seems the numbers are reveresed.  Check the chart on page 12 on chapter 8.