Restoring 87 Conquest...Opinions Please

jtmuncher

I have decided to rebuild an 87 Conquest that has been sitting at my Grand mother's house for about 2 years now.  The body is in good shape but it really needs a paint job.  Anyhow, I figure I'd be a true quester and start with the engine...I dont want anything too graphic...just something that will support 18-20 psi and about 300 HP reliably with the crappy t-body injection.  MPI is way too expensive.  I'd like recommendations on what pistons to get...I'd like to use the stock rods as I have heard they are very strong.  What do you guys suggest as far as rings, bearings etc...I'll be using a stock turbo for a while but might decide to slap on my SCM61 (680 HP) turbo off my eclipse if possible.  Anyway, any help and or ideas is appreciated.  

edit...not to bash or anything but do we have any good alternatives to order engine components from TEP.  Prices seem a bit high.

If you want 300 wheel HP you can do it on the TB, but I bet you'd be better of going with MPI. You'd pretty much have the TB maxed out.

My car has quite a few go fast mods. I ran a 239.4/335.6 on the dyno and thats with stock bottom end and stock fuel system.

I bet on the TB with a better fuel system and some bottom end work you'd be aroung 300 but probably about as far as you'll get with TB.

All the info you need is on this site and might even have a couple guys close to ya willing to come by and help

Good luck with it.

thanks man...if I cant make 320 or 300 with tb I'll settle for 280 or so.  Again, this is not going to be a track car.  I have an 11sec GSX 2 liter for that.  I just want this to be a good non-daily driven car with enough power to get up and go when I want it to.  I plan on having a/c, power steering basically all the creature comforts.  My wife will probly be driving this around too as well as my little girls.  This is what I am planning on now..

Head

Banshee Cam

HD Springs

New Stock OEM Valves

1.6 Roller Rockers off 3.0 Engine

New OEM Head Bolts

Block

New OEM Pistons

Rock (Hastings) Rings

Clevit Rod/Main Bearings

ARP Rod Bolts

-Unsure on the Main Studs-

Balance Shafts will stay in

Fuel

Walbro 255 In Tank

Suspesion

Sportline Springs

Adjustable Suspension off an 88 (Already have)

Drive Train

Stock except for 88-89 Tranny (Already have)

Clutch Masters Clutch

Items Needed

Intercooler

injectors

stock turbo

88-89 ECU

83 Hood

Misc

New OEM WaterPump

Sealed Power Oil Pump

New Chains, Gears, guides

MLS Head Gasket

SS Line from fuel filter to tank

I know I missed a bunch of stuff so feel free to chime in with ideas?  Thanks again.  I am ordering some of the smaller stuff today.  

Get rid of the balance shafts.  They will cause more harm than good.  And spend the extra money for ARP head studs.  If you plan on 280hp, you'll be running some boost.  You'll end up replacing those head bolts with studs the first time you blow a head gasket.  ;)

ADAM

I'd like to have smooth running engine as my wife and kids will be driving in it as well so my thinking right now is to leave the bs in.   I will not be too dissappointed if I cannot reach 300 or even 270hp.  Really, my main goal is to get it running reliably with power on tap when I need it.  I might not have started on the engine just yet but I already got me a CF 83 Style Hood!!! ;D  Figured I'd get the expensive stuff out of the way first.  Now I'll go from the head and work my way down to the block.  So next will be HD Springs, New OEM Valves...cam will be ordered late next week.  I am planning on getting some pics posted of the car as it sits now.  Its long long way from the way I envision it.  

Sounds to me like you want your car simular to how I want mine-nothing crazy, but enough power to back itself up. I'd like to get between 250-280hp max. Im not ready to step up to MPI yet and Im replacing everything on the car from struts to full new brake system, plus the months of body work-I will not have mon ey for major engine mods. Heres my plan:

Stock bottom end-83k miles

ARP head bolts, new gasket

Timming kit

Keeping balance shafts-for now

*DM full HP kit

1g mas

16g turbo

lightened flywheel

ACT clutch

*DM 3" exhaust

Turbo XS RFL BOV

I have done the full "tune up"-plugs, wires, cap & rotor, vac advance

Rebuild throttle body

Whatcha think? I really want the car to be reliable and still fairly quick, but still retaining a generally stock setup.

Brett