Always check the gas tank!

TerasKas

I have been restoring my 87 Conquest for about 2 months now and I just got it running about 2 weeks ago. I dont know how long it had sat up before I got my hands on it but I know my friend had it for at least a year just sittin in his driveway.( I had to replace the motor due to a thrown rod). I replaced it and I had been trying to get it running right and it always seemed to lean out right as the boost got up so I changed the inj. clips, front fuel filter, and cleaned the injectors but nothing fixed it. I then checked the tank and filters in the back and to my horror they were clogged solid and the tank looked like the surface of mars inside.

Now after seeing that I cannot stress enough the importance of cleaning or replacing your gas tank after the car has been sitting around. I am pretty sure that the tank and filters were the cause of my problem but I wont know until tommorrow.

Just wanted to pass this info on in case someone comes up with a similar problem.

Cory

• 2 weeks later...

i have had 3 different gas tanks on my car so far.ive tryed cleaning them.that doesnt work so well.

ive run a inline filter before the fuelpump.1 of those see though filters.

i thought i had a clean gastank but was amazed by how many filters i went through and never stopped going though filters.i finally had to buy another gas tank.

theres a little cone shaped filter in the fuel tank hose before the fuel pump,

that cloggs easily to.

BRIAN

• 2 months later...
After seeing the gas tank in my friend's corolla after 10 years of sitting, I figured I should pull the tank on my conquest before I started her up. Sure enough, the inside was trashed and the gas that was left smelled like vinegar gone wrong. I took it to a radiator shop and had them chem dip the tank. They repainted it, recoated the inside, and sealed up any pinholes that had formed from rust (the only holes were near the very top of the tank, so I'm not too concerned about them leaking). I replaced the in-tank fuel filter, the fuel filter in the engine bay, and the fuel pump (as a precaution). I think that should take car of any fuel related problems that might come up (minus injector problems). All told, the parts & chemdip probably costed ~$300.

Por15 makes a fuel tank repair kit that is supposed to clean and reapir your tank for 50 bucks. I havent used it, but i have used several of their other products with great results "as long as you follow their directions". You might wanna give it a try, its on their site under "complete kits". www.por15.com

• 2 weeks later...

a friend here at work told me he had a tank on his MG cleaned and the inside lined with teflon. Anyone hear of this before? I'm having the same problem I think. I've replaced everything I can think of and checked everything else....except fuel pressure and the filter in the tank.

From having older cars with inline filters that would clog occasionally, That's what it feels like...like theres a lack of fuel.

I'll check into the price of the teflon and cleaning and post back.

TJ

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...