Engine Tuning

My 1988 engine is totally stock and I am using the stock injectors (no MPI) using staged setup which the haltech unit allows me to do.  Small injectors at lower loads and big injectors at higher loads.

The car runs great when I step on the gas slowly - yes, the power is there and more, but when I abruptly step on the gas it pops or backfires.  I modified the ignition map and I was able to reduce this problem but I got to a point where any changes on the ignition map doesn't help or doesn't reduce this backfiring.  Of course, I maybe doing something wrong so don't negate the idea that my ignition map is incorrect.

Do you think its leaning out when I step on the gas hard?  My problem with this idea is that I am using the stock injectors therefore it should work if I can figure the stock mapping.

My biggest question is why is it backfiring?  What are the possible root cause?

Try checking the TPS. I am not famialier with haltech but there should be some accelerator enrichment adjustment to give your engine an extra shot of fuel when you step on the gas.

If the TPS is bad your haltech will not know the rate of change of the throttle and not enrichen the mixture enough.

Tony  

Your likely running to rich. Thats what it sounds like. Try increasing the fuel where the problem exists in the map substancially, and see if the problem gets worse (The same, but worse), and that'll give you a hint that its to rich and to lean it out.

Check and make sure you don't have to high of a throttle pump setting.

Joel

Joel i may be wrong  but i'd  go  with him being too  lean, that pop is exactly what happens  with a carb'd engine that has no excellerator pump, or a fuel inj engine with a bad tps,, even the stock  quest  switch'd from the small  inj to the large inj  when the throddle was  move'd quickly more then doubleing the fuel for  an instant

there should be a  seting for quick tps action on the ecu  , or  i sure hope so , some  systems  use a vacum signal  to increase the fuel pressure  at that moment   to ,

(the loss of vacum  causes the reg to increase the  pressure  5-8 lbs )

all  to elim  this pop and lean  spot  when the throddle is  snap'd open