Gas peddle is soft with Magna and Ford TB!

I installed my throttle cable today on my Magna and the ford TB has a very soft spring! With just a little effort the gas is to the floor. I kind of liked the factory firmness but I guess I will get used to it. Anyone else encounter this?

Jonathan

Jonathan...could you take a picture of it installed.  Maybe a close up of where the throttle linkage attaches to the TB.  I want to see how you guys are attaching it because it seems like the tab that slides into the linake is too big.  I bought a BBK 70MM for mine.  I want to have everything lined up before I start because I know that once the intake comes off, my car will be immobile for a WHILE  :-[

Ivan, are you talking aobut that little cylinder/ball at the end of the cable?  I've had to drill out the TB recess for that on mine.  

Ivan, are you talking aobut that little cylinder/ball at the end of the cable?  I've had to drill out the TB recess for that on mine.  

Yes, the end that connects to the tb.  The knob on the end of the stock throllte cable it too fat.  It does not fit inside the hole on the mustang t body.  So you are saying that I can drill the whole bigger???

Here are my pictures.

http://streetchallenge.com/uploadpix/up/IMG_2162%20small.jpg

http://streetchallenge.com/uploadpix/up/IMG_2163%20small.jpg

http://streetchallenge.com/uploadpix/up/IMG_2164%20small.jpg

So you did the same thing John??  You just drilled the hole bigger.  I want to make sure so that I don't do a hack job on mine.  I paid 2 bills for the brand new tbody and I don't want to fudge it up.  It looks good though, thanks for posting the pictures.  

On another note, what have people done about the FP regulator being so close to the tbody.  Test fitting mine, I see that the tbody hits the regulator at about half throttle.  There is almost no clearance...I was thinking of turning the reagulator to face the oppoite way..It seems to fit that way.  Thanks...Ivan

I know a fast way to fix that regulator clearance problem ;)

I run a ford 4.6 TB as well.

Take TB off, rotate 180 degrees. Reattach... Send check or MO to... ;)

Joel

HAHA..I would do that but Chad welds the cable bracket on the fuel rail side.  i could turn it and move the bracket, but what fun would that be??

I know a fast way to fix that regulator clearance problem ;)

I run a ford 4.6 TB as well.

Take TB off, rotate 180 degrees. Reattach... Send check or MO to... ;)

Joel

There's already a hole on the other side for the bracket you can use.

Seems odd that the manifold would be made so it was harder to install then easier.

...BAM there it is:

http://www.tristarion.com/gallery/albums/userpics/DCAM0003.JPG

Joel

Thats how I designed the Magna I modded for Scotty.  It just gets too cluttered with cable/reg/tb/thermostat housing all on the inside of the intake.  The other plus is that the pedal firmness is increased pulling the cam from the top, the leverage of the now weighted butterfly allows for far easier and more progressive throttle response.

An easy bracket fab allows for a much closer pull as well as a smooth angle.  The factory ford 4.6 t/b's are somewhat fragile on shaft materials, the better the approach the more reliable the setup.

Absorb what you wish...

Take care

Shawn

i had the same problem with mine.  Mike K suggested a Ford truck cable, one from say a mid 90's w/the 5.0 L v8.  I ended up using the brackets off the quest t-body and welding it to the mustang butterfly.  It dosen't look as nice a Joels but thats because of where the dumb a** at EIP mounted the bracket for the throttle cable.  Once again another one of there screw ups I neet to fix.

Sorry for the rambling.

where do you guys get the throttle body flanges for the 4.6 mustang throttlebodies? I need one.

I also need a universal thermostat housing for this MPI i am working on. i was gona cut up a factory intake but if anyone knows a generic one, let me know.

thanks

I added a spring from the throttle to the bracket holding the cable on, and I ran my throttle on the drivers side and still had to turn my fpr a little to clear the tps. I also used the stock cable. I'll take some pics and post them when I can

I discovered the TPS was backwards too, I just wired it backwards so it now reads 0-5V with 0 at idle and 5 at WOT.  2 minute wiring fix.

Artinist;  I make my own flanges. it is pretty easy with the right tools.  Cost is maybe $1.  I use a TB for the template, cut the TB opening with a 2 3/4" hole saw (70 mm).  The T-stat flange is a little more trickey which is why I re-use the old stat flange when I cut it off the back of a magna.  I do make them from scratch for my custom intakes, but it takes time.  If you need help on those, I may be willing to help.  Also, are you using a TIG to weld these?  the MIG process is too porous, I wouldn't recomend that on anything that has water going through it.  It can be done, but there is a lot of "fix it" time involved, and it starts to look ugly after a while.

I would vouch for Chad as well on mig welding not being the ultimate setup, but if your good with a spool gun it would do in a pinch.  You really need to preheat the aluminum before welding with a torch, as your trying to draw as much of the oil and grunge out of the pores before introducing clean fill.  Bead blasting the manifold will not clear the pores, it will just lay the pores on their side and once heated will open up and rear their ugly heads.  Without preheat your finished product will be brittle, full of porousity, and generally be poor penetration.  It's also a great way to improve your reflexes, as attempting to weld oil will attack your helmet with spits and small explosions.  Do not attempt this at home.

Take care

Shawn

I should also add that the more heat from welding (not preheating) you add, the more chance of warping the manifold flanges.  Probably best to bolt the manifold securely to a core cylinder head with all bolts/nuts before attempting to weld to it.  This will allow for a quick draw file to true the flange after the welding effort, rather than serious material removal on a mill or having to chase the aluminum to pull back with heat in certain area's.

Take care

Shawn