EGR and magna?

emissions is not a problem here, i know that the egr can reduce combustion temps and its location by the #3 and 4 intake runner makes me think that mitsu was trying to compensate for something.  just wondering if anyone threw this idea around.  it looks like the stock tbi unit will fit on the magna.

How would someone go about making EGR work on Magna intake?

I am looking at MPI fuel section my 1993 Accord Service Manual.

1)  ECU opens the EGR Solenoid under specific operating conditions

2)  Vacuum from TB passes thru open EGR Solenoid

3)  Vacumm opens EGR valve

4)  ECU compares reading from EGR valve lift sensor

5)  ECU opens/closes EGR Solenoid based upon EGR valve lift sensor

Do aftermarket EFI systems have features that could open/close a EGR Solenoid?

How did the old carburated EGR valve know when to open and close?  My guess is that there was a strong spring in EGR valve.  Intake manifold vacuum is the strongest at idle.  When intake manifold vacuum is strong enough (say 12 psi), it would open the spring in EGR valve.  

On carb'ed cars the EGR is driven by ported vacuum from the carb.  Ported vacuum comes from a specially located tap in the throttle plate area:

Picture totally closed throttle plates... if you "tap" the vacuum just below the plates you'll get high manifold vacuum.  If you "tap" just above the plates you'll get no vacuum at idle... but once the throttle opens a little bit you'll have vacuum.  At wide open throttle there is again no (almost none anyway) vacuum.  This type of port is used to drive EGR valves and other emissions things.  This way they are off at idle (when the engine is having enough trouble just staying running) but they work at part-throttle (cruise) and are off again at max-throttle ==> the engine is allowed to generate max power.

StarQuests have ported vacuum as well.  The first two ports basically are ported; the third port (closest to firewall) is manifold vacuum.

EGR is generally driven:

* at part-throttle cruise... via ported vacuum.

* when the engine is warmed up... this is what the ECU controlled solenoids do.

mike c.

Ive been out of the loop for a while but can or do they check for NOx now when they do emission testing. It use to be just HC and CO. If NOx is not checked for then there is no need for EGR, except back in the day it would help with spark knock. I would imagine thats not a problem with a programable fuel system, just add alittle more fuel after the test is ran.