Help, wiring up my mpi

I spent all day today wiring up my SDS. And I ran into a few problems and thought of some questions I have.

First off, how do I wire my tach to the coil pack, do I hook it up to the negative terminal for the old coil, or one of the distributor wires?

How do I wire up my fuel pump? (my sds has the fuel pump relay option, I know how to wire up the relay, I was wondering if anyone knew which wires to use). Can  I eliminate the stock ecu and wire harness? if so, how do you get rid of the harness since it was the wires for the starter, a/c, water temp, and oil pressure?

Which water sensor was for the gauge, was it the 1 wire one on the top of the thermostat housing?

I can't seem to get around having the hall sensor next to the alternator and having the wires pass right next to it, will the definitly be a problem?

Thanks.

I spent all day today wiring up my SDS. And I ran into a few problems and thought of some questions I have.

First off, how do I wire my tach to the coil pack, do I hook it up to the negative terminal for the old coil, or one of the distributor wires?

Coil pack? I would assume with that term you are using DIS, but you talk about a distributor. I will assume that you just mean the single coil?

In the case you are using the single coil/stock dist type setup, you just use a wire to the Negative terminal on the coil to tach.

In the case you are using a coil pack w/ DIS, you would need a circuit with 3 diodes inline. I can get you that info if need be.

How do I wire up my fuel pump? (my sds has the fuel pump relay option, I know how to wire up the relay, I was wondering if anyone knew which wires to use). Can  I eliminate the stock ecu and wire harness? if so, how do you get rid of the harness since it was the wires for the starter, a/c, water temp, and oil pressure?

The starter and A/C are seperate from the ECU wiring harness. Water temp and oil pressure are single wire sensors, so if you took the stock harness out, you would need to run new wires from under the dash where the sensor wires used to splice about between the dash and the stock ECU (for water) and just under the dash for oil pressure.

Which water sensor was for the gauge, was it the 1 wire one on the top of the thermostat housing?

Damn, I wish could remember. I do believe its a two wire sensor, although I cut the other wire connector off so I would never get confused. One was used for an auto tranny I think. Not sure there off the top of my head.

I can't seem to get around having the hall sensor next to the alternator and having the wires pass right next to it, will the definitly be a problem?

My wires pass within inches of the alternator. I use a Haltech E6K, but use the SDS Halleffect sensor (dual pole). The insulation should be enough that you would have no issues. In the case that you get irratic readings from the sensor, and you've troubleshot everything as far as placement/alignment of the sensor and its wiring, you can always wrap the wires with a conductive material and then ground that material. An example would be to wrap it in aluminum foil, and then wire the aluminum to a ground on the engine block.

Hope that helps.

Joel

the temp sensor sticking straight up towards the hood (2 wire)  is for the ecu.  the other two(one is for the ac/auto OD)  the other the gauge, which is which i couldnt tell you.  id say pull one at a time and see which makes your gauge stop working.

just clean the factory wires with some brake cleaner and then spray it with some WD40 to keep them from drying and becoming brittle, then round them up and put them in a bad and put a rubber band around it. there is plenty fo room frm them to sit around out of view near the starter waiting to be used again some day..

I just got mine running lastnight! I completely eliminated the stock ecu and hacked up the wire harness. but I still do have a question for you guys, how do I wire up my tach? I have an SDS with the crank trigger and coil pack ignition. I hooked the green wire up to the negative wire for the old coil and nothing. Thanks