Instructions for polishing rims - For Info

Rayman4449

another approach...

I just had all my pipes and shields in the engine compartment powder coated and the clear powder coated, looks fabulous, i will get pictures up when it is done (hopefully in time to get to pigeon forge this weekend!)

the guy who owns the shop showed me the wheels on his truck and they are incredible, just a swipe of his finger and the mud and crap came off showing the shine underneath. he uses an aircraft remover that is a thick gel and it takes anything off and then power spray it. i know because i tried to have my valve cover (polished) clear powder coated but the oils from the compound bubbled up when it was baked (300 degrees)  so we had to strip it and i am starting over on that with 2000 grit wet paper, i had also used mothers but that too is oil based so it cant be under powder coating.  

so after going through all the trouble of polishing wheels i am having mine clear powder coated. has anyone tried the everclear coating?

jeff  87 tsi

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

if you want really really good results, check eastwoodco.com

they have a whole section designed for buffing out car wheels

ive seen a lot of 3rd gen camaros do the polishing bit, and every wheel ive seen with eastwood products was bettter than the mother's, eagle 1, etc polished ones.

but, it does look like very nice work rayman

• 2 weeks later...

Man....I polished one rim this weekend and it turned out perfect...

but....

It's going to be the last one I polish...Man, thats not worth the effort.... I need to get a lathe, that would make it a lot easier. Took me the better part of 2 days with a polishing wheel and a drill to get just one done.

I say just go with www.starquestrims.com

They will be perfect and they're reasonably priced.

J