Aussie Flatbody Kits

• 3 weeks later...

Danger Dave, you are right!  I forgot about the '83 antenna.  It is fully retractable and conceals itself down the driver's side "A" pillar.  

I've had my headliner out of my car.  If someone was brave enough with a drill, I bet that the '83 antenna could be mounted on any year car.  

Other '83 stuff...

the Australian taillights with amber lens

the mirrors with manual controls mounted inside of car on sailpane panel

the power windows controls on console where our mirror controls are located

the suede and velour 6-way adjustable seats with "TURBO" embossed in seat back (not below headrest like my car)

the graphic tach and turbo, digital speedo with analog fuel, temp, oil, and amm gauges rotated 45 degrees -- needle at 9 o'clock when empty or neg, needle at 11 o'clock when full or pos.

• 2 weeks later...

"DUDE, THAT'S MY CAR !!!" How'd you find that link? That link will die soon, when it does, use:

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~cdaber/SCSA/...rs/FrameSet.htm

G'day folks, a couple of things: You like the taillights? The taillights are '82, in fact the whole car is. The interior is '85.

The front spoiler you see there is in fact the fibreglass mould, I picked up the finished product last weekend. I will be getting the car and spoiler painted, along with the "bwmskirts" fitted as well. So, you CAN see a photo of a "flatbody" with that kit fitted. I'll post up a link when it's done if you want, probably in about a month or so......

Over here we LOVE all the Widebody stuff, the electric mirrors, the clear over red taillights, the 3-piece rear spoilers, and ESPECIALLY the wide body panels!

The grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it !?!

Cheers, greetings from Australia!

Thanks mate.

You can get one of those nice front spoilers from "Advanced Spoilers" at Salisbury, South Australia. They have a website.....I think it's

http://www.advancedspoilers.com

Maybe contact them and find out if they'll ship to the States.

With your exchange rate, it's probably even viable cos the spoiler itself will only cost you about $170 U.S. or so. Shipping will be the killer, but if you are prepared to wait about 4-6 weeks, you can probably get it sent by boat for $40 US. Bargain!

A mate of mine already has one on his Starion, so this will give you more of an idea than just seeing the mould on the bottom of my car....

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~cdaber/SCSA/misc/Adrian.jpg

btw, do you really love the A pillar antenna THAT MUCH ?? ...or are you just taking the piss? (Sorry, Aussie expression for "taking the mickey") ;D

Fair enough! But you could always fit one of those generic brand Electric antennae to you car, might be better than getting old second hand ones?

The A Pillar aerial was only present on the '82 model, the '83 onwards had the electric one. If you want, I'm sure I can arrange one for you & send it over, but fitting it would be your problem!  ;)

Really?! Wow, that is interesting!

As a matter of fact, the paperwork I received with the car from the original owner shows that he bought it in November 1982, but it is an '83. (First year Mitsu imported the Starion here in the US)

Star, would you be able to get some Aussie version tail lights and front 2-tone parking/fog lights? In the US the tail lights are all red, no amber, and the front parking lights are all amber, no white.

I've always wanted those! I'll need to get another '83 tho!  ;)

Mate, I reckon there'd be Starion enthusiasts all over Australia lining up to do a swap with you. I myself have already committed to buying a set of U.S. taillights and other stuff, and need to keep my original ones in case of legal troubles. (Red indicators may not be legal here, and amber ones may get you into trouble over there - would be worth your while checking first.)

I love the wide body though. I would love to import one of those. Maybe one day, when I'm rich! They cost more to ship over here than they do to buy in the states.  :'(

What year did Mitsu stop importing the Starion to Australia? Do you happen to know why they never imported the wide bodies?

I know that the amber lights are ok here, but for some reason Mitsu gave the US a different version from the rest of the world.

I want to keep my lights, but I will see about getting another pair of '83 tail lights & front parking lights.

If there are any other items you guys are looking for, post on the items wanted board, some people may be willing to trade also.  :)

No worries mate, thanks for the tip. Mitsubishi kinda shat in their own nest when they brought out the "JD" model in Australia, because it was overpriced and underpowered. (2.0 L with TC05, but unleaded) They only sold about 60 Australiawide I think, so obviously the next model was never going to be an option. Maybe they would have done better if they'd popped in the 2.6L powerplant.

Anyway, that was about '87. In Australia, we had the JA model in '82, then JB in 85. For obvious reasons there was no "JC" model, then JD in 87. I'm pretty sure that's about right. Starions are very rare in Australia. According to common belief, there were 1250 JA's sold, 500 JB's and 60 JD's. How many Starions on U.S streets? Are the majority Wide Bodies?

No one knows exact numbers of flat bodies vs wide in the US, but I believe that more wide bodies are left in actual running condition.

We only had the 2.6L here in the States, and the wide body was introduced in '86.

Flat bodies were sold along with wide until 1987. Only the wide body was available in '88 & '89.

One of the features this board will have, in the near future, is a VIN # registry. We hope to get a decent estimate of Starions & Conquests left in the US and the rest of the world.  

Did Mitsu import any other cars with the 2.6 to Australia? Then you could perform a swap!

Wow, that is one cool flatbody spoiler. Is that a one-off or do they have other ones. I always wanted one that looked like that and wanted to piece one together out of 2 flat and widebody spoilers but this looks much better! I checked out their website and there's no mention of a Starion spoiler. Will that one bolt up to the U.S. model bumper?

I don't see why it would not fit the U.S. bumper. But only the narrow body. The widebody flares out too far. It's definately NOT a once-off, they make them by request. They will have a photo on their website as soon as I get my car finished, (I promised them a photo of mine)

Hey, i'm from Australia as well, in the same starion club as junkie to be exact. you could get that spoiler to fit, but i don't think you would be ready for transport to the US :( if it was cheaper then what it is, we would be swapping parts with you to no end :) I never knew people liked the pillar mounted antenna's over the rear electric ones! Anyway about to get some later model tail lights and am considering making them clear through reading the other thread in this forum. I've got some pics of my 82ja at www.starion.i85.net if anyone is interested in flatbodies still over there. Junkie is not the only one who wants a widebody in australia, just about everyone here would be glad to swap for one :)

-Matt

www.starion.i85.net

I'm not sure the exact amount to ship it there, but the real killer is taxes and fees once it lands. Not sure about your import laws though, could be a lot cheaper for you then us!

chromepuff, were u talking about a pic on my site? if it's the 5th pic on the modded section, that is a bodykit fit onto a starion and i think exists somewhere in america. I only modded it with the intercooler and lights, but i was going to ask if that is an american car because i beleive it's a widebody but not sure if your widebody's have those style electric mirrors on the sides?

-Matt

www.starion.i85.net

No one knows exact numbers of flat bodies vs wide in the US, but I believe that more wide bodies are left in actual running condition.

We only had the 2.6L here in the States, and the wide body was introduced in '86.

Flat bodies were sold along with wide until 1987. Only the wide body was available in '88 & '89.

One of the features this board will have, in the near future, is a VIN # registry. We hope to get a decent estimate of Starions & Conquests left in the US and the rest of the world.  

Did Mitsu import any other cars with the 2.6 to Australia? Then you could perform a swap!

Hi guys I'm from Denmark, here in Europe we have both the narrowbody and the widebody in either 2.0 or 2.6, anyways Marc i've got a set of perfect condition rearlights (euro-version with no fog-toned glas in front) do you have something you would exhange for a set of those? wanted: good blow off valve or turbotimer or something?

David Schouenborg (Denmark)

'87 2.6 Heavy modded starion (imported from USA)

'86 Widebody 2.0L starion (stock for now)

'85 2.0L narrowbody (not running, but soon)