Replacing your Heater Core Hoses

DIFFICULTY - Easy

TOOLS NEEDED - Cable cutters (or knife), flat-head screwdriver

MATERIALS - Coolant and/or distilled water

This is an easy project, for even the beginner mechanic.  I noticed a few weeks back I was getting a coolant drip after driving my car, I discovered it was heater core hose at the firewall, so I decided to replace both and take a pics along the way.

First, I ordered two new heater core hoses from DAD (in and out hose).  They arrived a few days later.

HPUJy6.jpg

Now we need to remove the existing hoses at the firewall.  They are most likely installed with hose clamps, so loosen them up and remove both hoses.  Note, you WILL lose coolant during the process. I did this out in the driveway on purpose so I didn't have coolant all over my garage floor.

cpzmoS.jpg

W4EwH1.jpg

I discovered years ago quite by accident that a set of cable cutters are EXCELLENT for cutting small diameter hoses cleanly.  If you don't have a set, go buy a pair - it'll be well worth it.

e5qEa3.jpg

If you were able to get your old hoses off without too much trouble, you should be able to use them as templates for your new hoses, as they will be a little bit longer than needed. 

I had to cut about about an inch off this one. 

4Frecw.jpg

TCfjs0.jpg

And I had to cut about 1/2 inch off this one.

mE1iWj.jpg

1ygD7L.jpg

Now your ready to reinstall.  Don't go too crazy tightening down the hose clamps, the heater core fittings are cooper and can/will crush.

6lCoIQ.jpg

y0IKhY.jpg

Now top of your radiator with coolant.  Take your car for a short drive and make sure it gets up to temperature.  Bring it back home and check your work for leaks.  Let the car cool down an hour or so, then open your rad and it top it off again.  You should be good to go.

Happy StarQuesting.

• Like 2