The Wrong Clutch Release Bearing

Sharpshifter

Beginning about 3 weeks ago I determined that my '87 Conquest was due for a release bearing.

I bought the car last year at 168k miles and have driven it regularly; rolling the odometer up to about 180k miles. What it began doing was 'singing' with a random clutch application. Release / "Throwout" bearing obviously. Clutch overhaul time.

Records for this car are spotty to nonexistent, but there is a sticker underneath the hood that boasts "Centerforce Clutch," so I know the clutch has been replaced at least once in the car's history. Picked up a kit-- made extra sure to get a 'thin' release bearing for my INTERCOOLED car-- I found out there was a difference thanks in large part to this site!

Everything came apart smoothly. Dropped the transmission and... well, I was not impressed. The release bearing on there was seized per my own efforts- but also distorted, reamed out, and even off center! It was a "how was this even working" moments. What's more: it was the larger release bearing for the NON-INTERCOOLED transmission.

Well, either I had the wrong part in my hand, OR my car is a franken-ride with the incorrect tranmisssion. Maybe the previous technician was not discerning enough to provide the correct type. Everything else was in good shape, including the clutch.

Nothing much else to tell, installed the proper bearing and clutch kit, slid everything together and it works great. I'll wager that given the width of that improper bearing, it was semi-engaged every running moment.

post-27193-0-10781600-1440734263_thumb.jpg