ASAP Help with timing

87TSiStock

I took my distributor out of the car and forgot to mark the tooth to go back in correctly so now im lost and the car wont start , never done timing before so if someone could list steps and be very detailed or send a link to a thread on here (I looked but didn't really see one), also what mark to you use to le up TDC? the slash on the pulley that is close to the numbers for the timing or is it the row of 3 circles on the front of the pulley? this would help me out a lot as im trying to get the car ready for racing tomorrow but as of now it doesn't run

THANKS

If you've removed the distributor and are assured that it hasn't turned at all since removal, it might be very close if not right on.

If there is any doubt: remove the valve cover. Turn your crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer to 0 degrees Top Dead Center. Now, the camshaft pulley has a locating "key" pin that ought to be ALMOST 12:00. More like 58 minutes. If it is not, then rotate your crank pulley one additional revolution. Assuming there is no anomaly with your timing chain, everything is going to line up. When your timing mark is at 0 degrees and this key pin on the cam gear is at "58 minutes," then align your distributor so that the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug wire. Many caps are marked. Remember that when you insert your distributor, the rotor will turn as it engages the cam gear.

All there is to it. Start your car and zero in 10 degrees BTDC at idle.

Edited by Sharpshifter