[FIXED] Left half of fuse box, no power? Help? Failed ETACs like symptoms

boostd92

Thanks in advance for reading!

I bought my 87 Conquest knowing it was having some intermittent ETACs issues (no power windows, belts, pop-ups, dome light, etc). The previous owner changed the ETACs unit and gave me the old one. Since then I've had periods where all the symptoms of failed ETACs presented, and then starting/restarting the car, or slamming the hood or door and everything would go back to normal for a few weeks.

Now I can't slam a door or hood to fix it, it just won't come back on. I followed the FSM troubleshooting and found that there was no power getting to the ETACs unit under the seat, I then checked the fusebox under the left side of the dash and found that there was no power getting to the "Room" fuse that sends power to the ETACs and other things. I then checked the fusible link by the battery. I get full power in and out of all the fusible links (which I replaced about a year ago), when measuring from the top of that fusible link box.

After some searching, I found multiple threads for "WTB, fusible link housing" thinking that may be my issue but then I checked the fusebox under the dash and found that I get no power through any of the fuses on the left hand side of the box (starting with "room" at the top).

Any suggestions? I've heard the under dash fusebox is basically not removable and a PITA... could the fusible link box be bad inside causing half the under dash fusebox to be out, even if the links themselves are good?

-Adam

[edit - FIXED]

After inspecting the sub fusible link box that has the "R" link in it, the 12 gauge wire that goes from the bottom of the link to a 3-prong connector was the culprit. The terminal in side the three prong connector was melted due to high resistance in the wire (about 1" before and after the connector, the wire was rock hard and green). I couldn't save that terminal in the connector so I cut back the bad wire on both sides and ran a 12ga wire with correct weatherproof spade terminal around it so it's easily serviceable. Now all my fuses work and all the interior functions have returned - the ETACs was just fine all along.

Edited by boostd92