fusible links

Boinker Man

I can't seem to find a good thread about how to clean or use a aftermarket fusible link.I'm having troubles I don't know if its ground issues or from the fuse link.my battery is new and the alternator is tested good I keep having this problem but my battery gauge keeps dipping anytime I use anything.if I hold the break for a while my battery gauge start Dipping. and can't seem to get it Tothe point where my issues coming from.

lots of electrical issues with our cars, especially as they age

-grounds get corroded adding resistance to circuits (draining more battery to do the same work)

-fusible link terminals and the links themselves can corrode - clean the terminals (small file to scrape clean male end on the fus. link junction box thing)

and replace questionable fusible links with ones from dad/randy

http://www.enginemac.../electrical.php

Wouldn't suggest making your own links since the connectors are an odd size - at least i have no idea where to find them - and unsure on aftermarket ones... oem from link above probably your best bet

-Also, the charge harness is known to have not enough conductor from alt. to batt.

replace the charge wire, or add another of similar size to allow alternator output to effectively charge the battery and run accessories

my 87 has the same problem where indicators cause the battery voltage to dip severely, and battery doesn't get charged

cleaning up the whole electrical system - and modding a few parts of the setup in the hopes of fixing the problems

will post info and pics of what i did, once i find out if it works

Best of Luck figuring it out - I swear owning a starquest either makes you a problem solver, or a guy selling a car on craigslist

-Aaron

Edited by Squrlsquash

the main reason for the dip in voltage is the ignition key harness.

25 years old and corroded. I can not remember what particular wire

in that harness that needs to be doubled up on or replaced with a

size larger wire. but once fixed the dip is gone or virtually

undetectable by the gauge.