Rebuilding my 14g turbo

carguygibby

While I'm still waiting for my replacement motor to turn up I have spent some time checking other parts for wear and found there is a lot of shaft play in my 14g turbo. I have found the how-to links and am strongly tempted to try to rebuild it myself (plus I'm cheap!) using an eBay rebuild kit.

A couple of them claim to be genuine Mitsubishi kits for about $150 but I bet they were made in China just like the cheaper ones for sale. Anyone had good/bad/indifferent experiences using one of these kits?

Thanks,

Colin B)

I've done a few 12A turbos using kits from eBay.

12A Flatback kit was only about $60-$80 IIRC. And they've all worked fine. And are surprisingly simple to install.

Just be sure the center section is super clean and de-coked!

-N8

Got mine from G Pop Shop for about $150. Don't know where it's from.

Easier to do than you would expect (see above) Just be sure to mark everything before you take it apart so it all lines up the same when you put it back together (housings, wheels, shaft, nut - anything that could end up in a different rotational position because you didn't remember where it was when you took it apart).

Yeah same here. I daily my quest. In the last yr I've built 3 12a'a due to running them 14psi + on the daily and building from used parts ....lol I've got where it takes a hair over an hour to yank and rebuild, install....prime it and fire it up..haha

Only think you really need is some really big internal snap ring pliers. I bought a ratcheting set...small set is also nice.

• 3 weeks later...

free........when it gets hot... it will expand and burn up......when u spin shaft it should freewheel............(smooth)

use thread lock ..........

u have to use small torque wrench to torque to spec ....( autozone loner )....don't just tighten !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wheel will be one with shaft ,but shaft will spin freely in housing....

Edited by markhansenconquest