What clutch do I get?

Colin

Hello everyone, quick question for you guys. I'm planning on replacing my tranny and putting a new clutch in while I'm at it. My car is an 88 with an 87 engine and trans. The trans I'm putting in is an 89. I looked at NAPA's selection of clutches online and they list 4 available for an '87. One for non-intercooled (obviously not gonna work) then the other three depended on the manufacture date of the car (one 'til may '87 and one after june '87). I'm guessing some '87s had a stepped flywheel or something and some didn't? Or is NAPA wrong and there's only really one option? Again the engine is '87 intercooled (according to the PO) and trans going in is an 89. Any help appreciated.

Colin

The dimensions for the flywheels are all the same. The 88-89 used a larger clutch. The only difference is the holes for the pressure plates were in different places to make up for the larger or smaller diameter clutches. You'll HAVE to know which flywheel you've got before you order the clutch. If you wanted to be certain, find a used flywheel from an 88-89 and order the later clutch. Might end up with an extra flywheel, but you'd be able to sell it here on the site, and you'd have the better clutch.

Hey Colin,

I'm guessing that's Mt Airy NC? Anyhow, I have one of the F1 clutch kits from ebay. Cheap and they seem to hold just fine. They sell them in the stock application all the way up to stage 4, 6 puck, race style clutch. I have the stage 2 and it holds fine with mild mods on my 89. Hope that helps if you don't buy the setup 86ESI offered you.

BC_99

im located in delaware, i have a 87 centerforce dual friction clutch i am selling, your more then welcome to bring your old to compare with mine to make sure it would work... i have a dial caliper to measure diameter if need be :)

not sure how far away from camden de 19934 you are

if you wanna hit me up text 302 270 5141

Dan

Hey Colin,

I'm guessing that's Mt Airy NC? Anyhow, I have one of the F1 clutch kits from ebay. Cheap and they seem to hold just fine. They sell them in the stock application all the way up to stage 4, 6 puck, race style clutch. I have the stage 2 and it holds fine with mild mods on my 89. Hope that helps if you don't buy the setup 86ESI offered you.

BC_99

How does everyone feel about an Autocom clutch?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTOCOM-Stage-2-Clutch-Kit-381-74029-Mitsubishi-Starion-Chrysler-Conquest-2-6L-/271090796814?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1989%7CMake%3AMitsubishi%7CModel%3AStarion%7CSubmodel%3AESi-R%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.6L&hash=item3f1e45490e&vxp=mtr

im located in delaware, i have a 87 centerforce dual friction clutch i am selling, your more then welcome to bring your old to compare with mine to make sure it would work... i have a dial caliper to measure diameter if need be :)

not sure how far away from camden de 19934 you are

if you wanna hit me up text 302 270 5141

Dan

got a flywheel too? I'm looking to get everything together and the flywheel machined so I can throw everything in at once without having the car sit for a week or more waiting for parts