New Owner of a 89 Conquest Tsi SHP need some tips...

Swhirstein

I am looking for things to due while I am saving money.. Conquest is running and weekend driver / project. I am currently Deleting A/C and contemplating ABS. I am wondering what other non costly upgrades I could do? Also on the market for new shocks/struts any suggestions? Another thing, I have noticed in some engine pics the absence of that the ugly black box that sits on top of the valve cover & intake manifold and has vacuum lines going to turbo and from somewhere.. what is that & what needs to be done to remove it as I've not seen it on may other peoples engine pics. Thanks!

D2's for shocks and struts, Nick is having a group buy right now so get over to the group buy thread. They are well worth the money as they come standard with camber plates up front which these cars need. There is no stock way of adjusting camber. The ugly black box is called the secondary air system, it admits air into the exhaust ahead of the cats to help drop HC emissions as these cars run rich at idle stock. You can remove it, you just need to plug the port in the exhaust, many just drop a couple of quarters in there and tighten the nut back on. ABS can be bypassed, it is/was only active on the rears to prevent you from spinning it during hard braking, you need to get a bypass line to run from the master cylinder to the three way t on the lower firewall under the brake booster. You can be all fancy and go flex line or just head to autozone and get a long length of solid line and bend to your desired shape. Also unplug the ABS control box located in the spare tire compartment in the trunk to turn off the "brake" light.

• 4 weeks later...

Also on the market for new shocks/struts any suggestions?

D2's for shocks and struts, Nick is having a group buy right now so get over to the group buy thread. They are well worth the money as they come standard with camber plates up front which these cars need. There is no stock way of adjusting camber.

D2 Group Buy is here: http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=137989

I'm Nick btw