car malfunction/dead?

everything seemed to be perfect until i drove on the highway, i was in 5th gear, couple minutes later i noticed i started losing mph, i tried putting it back in gear but no grab on the gears, when i gassed my revs whent up, but no movement. i had pulled over to the side to turn my car off. i tried to turn it back on and it wouldnt start. at that moment i assumed it was the clutch. but when i had it towed back to my house, and let it sit for a couple days, i went to go start it up again and it started, this is the part that confuses me, anyone have an idea of what the problem might be? sensor maybe?

yea, i wasnt able to shift it back into gear, i have an 87 quest stick, history on car i beleive the last owner had it just sit in the garage not much maintenance, since ive gotten it i havent done too much yet, just the tlc on liquids, new battery, alternator; plan on getting my head looked at cause im leaking coolant also.

Sounds like you have yourself a project on your hands. I mean that in a good way! Welcome to the forum too.

So when you tried to shift back into gear was it grinding? (basically the pressure plate wasn't releasing the clutch allowing you to shift into gear) Perhaps you need to bleed the system? check the fluid level in reserve, check the hydraulic line for leaks/cracks.

Expand on the coolant leak idea and flooding comment please. How did you clear the chambers? Pull the spark plugs and cranked it over?

You could have an injector 'sticking' open causing you to dump gas. With that said you should check the oil asap for a strong gas smell because if the car was flooded (perhaps that is why it wouldn't start) and you let it sit the gas could have made its way down the cylinder walls into the oil. Diluted oil is not good for bearings.

Sounds like a stuck open injector issue to me. Take off the pipe at the throttle body unplug the injectors have someone crank the vehicle and look inside to see if any fuel is coming out of injectors. Obviously if they are unplugged they should be closed and no fuel should be coming out. If you see fuel STOP. Replace the injectors and the clips. Spill and fill the oil a few times then again changing the filter as well. Remove spark plugs and blow out and fuel that is sitting in the cylinders. Also check vacuum lines for fuel. They tend to fill up in flooding situations and also look for fuel puddles under the vehicle. Hope this helps a little. Keep us up on what you find.

Sorry about my first post. I meant when it was in gear the car wouldn't move and the revs just went up. Then the revs dropped and the car shut off. It wouldn't start until it was cooled off. Is there a chance its a coolant temp sensor? There's no check engine light on and it consumes alot of gas, the engine also keeps flooding out when its warm. When time and weather permits I'll try and look into the injector. Thanks for all your sugestions so far.