Srt 2.4 swap, anyone try?

In all the years here, never heard of it. In all honesty, the SRT 4 was a POS, just as much as the 4G54BT. The advantage the 4G54 has over the SRT is that it came stock in the StarQuest and it don't require major modification to make it work. There are waaaay better power plants out there to swap into a StarQuest, check out the engine swap section. V8's are quite popular specially Lexus LS400 V8's, so are 2JZ's.

A bone stock srt4 engine with 3" exhaust makes 250hp and around 275 torque at the front wheels. So lets say 280hp/300tq.

With a tune and a few cheap mods, its nothing to get one over 300hp on the stock turbo...at the front wheels.

They are great engines derived from the 2.2s. They hold up to extreme power and hold up for a long time. People are putting larger turbos and beating the hell out of 200k mile engines with no problems.

That power bolting into a Conquest would give you stock reliability, an actual aftermarket, and would make it a ball to drive. The torque curve the of srt4 engines would be perfect for a RWD car.

Its my dream to do this swap to something.

That being said, its not that big of a deal to do. You can get a Jeep liberty/wrangler (with the 2.4) bellhousing and shave 1/2" off, bolt it to a r154 supra trans and you have a RWD 2.4L. Then, use a Dodge Caravan intake which points the intake forward and you're done. Now make the mounts...do all the wiring, etc.

The stock turbo down pipe can even be clocked so it would exit towards the rear. Only issue is the compressor side of the turbo is on the wrong side...either man up and put some piping in or get an aftermarket turbo/header giving you substantially more power potential than you just had (which was already up to about 350 with the stocker).

Orrrrrr....you can get a bellhousing out of a 2.2L dakota and it would bolt right up to the engine and the r154...however, it is missing one bolt hold which according to the 2.2/2.4 guys is pretty important, so you'd have to weld on a tab.

Either will require a little fabbing, but both neither are that difficult.

And like I said, the 2.0/2.4 is a direct decendent of the 2.2 which was a bulletproof potential filled engine...to the point that with the adding of an oil drain and a different timing belt tensioner...the 2.4 head will bolt right up to the 2.2.

I've wanted to do it to something RWD and someday will. I see it as a perfect canidate and just as worth as a 4G63...and has much more potential than the g54b ever did.

I hear ya loud n clear strangemajik...I had a feeling the right parts might be out there, and had a hope someone was already keen on going through with it! :wub:

The 2.4 was indeed well designed, and to be honest, very reliable and powerful. The only issues I have seen were related to the trans/clutch trying to hold all that torque after years of use.

The most hilarious issue the SRT4 (body) had, which we never told new owners (for entertainment), was the shift knob comming right off at the dragstrip! :lol:

The 2.2 (which I have had many), is the easiest to crank up on power. 12psi stock, 14psi on computer flash... add 3", cold air and UD pulley... gotta love MAP based ecu

Edited by theJohn1320