88 2.6 liter montero

white quest ky

Last night my truck was running perfect this morning I start it and head to work and come to a stoplight and it just dies I started it right back up drove on hit another light stopped and it died its also idling at 600 any ideas

hmmm when mine did this i found out it was my igniter box. I couldn't keep mine in idle even if i tried to hold the accelerator pedal down...it would just die. FYI have you checked the codes and see what you are getting.

I'm assuming this is a naturally aspirated 2.6 engine, correct? Is it stock?

Just as a first pass, I'd say there's a vacuum leak somewhere. That spaghetti tangle under the hood is notorious for leaking somewhere. Our old buddy, the Mikuni carb could need to be rebuilt, too.

Give us some more details.

Sorry I was assuming you had the turbo. I didn't realize you had the N/A so i was going with what experience i had. Despite that i would assume you could still pull codes but you need a scanner if you have a obd. I like to know what my vehicle is telling me so i can have any idea of where to start unless it's not telling me anything then that's where the pain starts. Good luck

Sounds like a fuel issue anyway. How old is the fuel pump? It's pretty easy to change on that thing. Fuel filter could be clogged as well. Has it been sitting for any prolonged period?