car convulses when hot

lew39

well its been a while since i couldnt fix my quest without some help, but here i am again. car misses and seems like it lacking fuel when it goes to boost. it runs normally when not trying to boost. i can seen on the narrow band it goes lean when this happens. ive swapped out the coolant temp sensor (ran great for 60 miles), fixed a vacuum leak(ran great for 5 miles) so both times i thought i had it. i turned the car off and when i started it back up a few minutes later, it was doing it off the get go. Thanks

I would go back through the hoses to make sure you found all the leaks. Vac and boost leaks make havic for the computer. I would also do a tps reset it you haven't done one in a while. Pull the battery hot and let the computer dump it's memory, then do a tps reset, it's in the faq's if you need directions. What strikes me is that you changed the coolant temp sender and it ran fine for 50 miles or so, then it started up again. Same with the boost leak fix. Something fishy going on.

Give us all of your mods. Anything on the car you are running different than stock?

Is this your 86 we are talking about?

If so, make sure the vac lines to the map sensor and its selenoid are hooked up correctly and verify the selenoid is working properly. There are two feeds to one sensor. The manifold feed is being read 98% of the time, but every couple of minutes the computer triggers the selenoid and takes a reading off the fed that comes from the air can. So if there is a problem with that system the car can run fine when started and go into a fit a couple of minutes later when the ecu samples atmospheric pressure.

I'd say you had a bad injector...if you have an 86 especially, but it will act like this initially when your secondary injector starts to fail. All the other fixes you did fixed little problems that might add to the main problem, thus the seeming like it's running better, but when an injector gets tired it acts like that and gradually gets worse and worse.

the 86 injectors are both the same i believe. they take turns spraying. they were clean and flow tested about a year ago. i will check out the selenoid though. it is the 86 only mod being a " t" fitting on the wastegate for a couple more lbs of boost. tps reset has been done. im starting to think its random, but it never does it until the car is warmed up.