g54b and 4g64

hondaiceman

I know everyone wants the 4g64 for the swaps because it bolts up to the stock trans, only thing is its not a turbo block. So now i get to the meat of the inquiry (question). There are numerous g54b blocks that are not turbo blocks also." Yes you can use them, no they are not to be used." ?????? Yes,no,yes,no idk lol. Just add oil squirters. I remember going over this a few years back. The thing is i have slept since then, so refresh my memory. TY.

i believe you're asking several questions at once.

If you come across a g54 block that isnt turbo. The block itself is the same as ours, just without squirters. You can machine them to accept conquest squirters, then swap all your conquest only goodies onto it (oil pump, pan, nitrited crank, etc) and it will be JUST LIKE yours in your car...

the 4g64 is popular because it also bolts in, can be machined for squirters and is similar in displacement (2.4L) but its popular because it will accept with very minimal modification the 4g63 DOHC head (4 valves per cyliner) AND you can use 4g63 rods as well as most other engine components to build a high revving high hp motor.

Dont forget though, that both of those blocks come in either wideblock (like the starion/conquest motor as well as MOST d50s) or narrow block, which is mostly used in FWD cars.

Edited by Frenchi934

Beat me to it frenchie,lol as an aditional note there would be no benifit to using the non-turbo block, and it would cost more to machine. The 4g64 block is GREAT, if you have the money and I mean big money you can build a very awsome engine using the 64 block. For most people building the g54 is the most economical option. Edited by QuickMitz

Your rwd n/a truck block might not have a boss to put a hole in for a knock sensor. If you use pistons with a ceramic coated dish that can help reduce their temperatures like the spraying of the oil on the underside does but its not the exactly the same. You could do both and there's plenty of oil squirters from many different engines you could use. A FWD 2.6 block is cast different and requires the rear mounted cam driven water pump. There's only one version of a RWD 2.4 you can use.

Ok i was doing some thinking, I once broke an ear off my turbo 350 trans i had on my 283. And i took it in to have the ear welded back on. And they welded it back on my aluminum trans. Which gave me the idea of cutting the stock trans( starion,conquest 5 spd.) and welding on a plate that would be able to bolt up to a 4g63. Now that i said that i know I probably missing something because this seems to easy to me. I'm sure there other reasons why someone hasn't tried this yet. Don't get to crazy with your replys i'm just thinking out loud here and I'm not a top notch mechanic. So let the replys begin. Can it be done?

Someone already made a way to use a fwd 4g63 in rwd form. When you do these motor swaps a stock tranny you do not want. All these 25 year old worn out trannys aren't much better either. You need to rebuild those same as you rebuild your engines. You can't just weld here and there, the axis of the crank and the axis the trany must be exact unless you just want it to last a few weeks and eat bearings and ruin both.

Here's the guy that made a bellhousing for what you want to do if you find a junkyard toyota gearbox.

http://www.billsautofab.com/ his screen name in here is Bill Hincher

Yea thats all good. Except its very costly by the time you add trans, clutch, adapter, mods to your car, and the 4g63. A stock modified trans would be the way to go on a budget. These cars are not that costly thats why we get them most bang for your buck, if i wanted a t56 i would get a firebird or a camaro.