Would like to buy a Conquest

JSD1979

Hello,

Well here goes, I am going to go ahead and put a feeler out there for what is in the area. I have been checking Craigslist quite a bit but nothing really has popped in my area. Which is Pensacola Florida. Panhandle area. I am really searching for an 87-89 Widebody. I really dig them. But here is my dilemna... I am not a mechanic/electrician for the auto field.. But if it flies give me a wrench some duct tape and a tube sock and I can fix anything.. But autos.. whole different world. I want to work on a vehicle with my son so he has a car when he turns 16... wait he is sixteen I think.. I forget but, besides that slight issue that can be resolved with a quick look at a birth certificate. I am basically weighing the odds.. Do I want something mechanically sound and get something with a not so pretty interior and in need of a paint job.. or do I want something with a pretty interior and not so mechanically sound and start to throw new snazzy pieces in it... What do you think?

But really I just want a Conquest. I dont want to break the bank buying one.. I just dont want rust and want a straight body.

I need a hobby bad...

If you happen to know of anyone selling one in the area please let me know!

Thanks everyone...

~James

sorry, I just randomly type stuff.

That is about 10 hours from me, Also.. I hate to say it but I dont know how to drive stick!!!! So I would have to get it delivered to me =/.... I am so ashamed =(

Bear in mind that these cars are maintenance cars, so you'll HAVE to work on it or go broke paying others to do it for you. No worries though, a decent set of metric tools and this site will go a long way towards you keeping her on the road. There's more info on these boards than Mitsubishi ever dreamt of in the late 80's, and we've got a handful of knowledgable, reputable vendors. We've got you covered. An auto trans car is a bit more rare than the 5 speeds, and a bit more costly to fix when things go wrong. Learning the clutch might be a good experience for the both of you.

One more thing I've got to say, I don't know your son, but this is typically not the car for a first-time driver. Kids, (even most of us adults) tend to get a little heavy footed when they're (we're) sitting behind the wheel of a sporty car. Add a turbo to that and many times it's a recipe for disaster.

Welcome to the club. You'll enjoy it here. :)

On the other hand, if your boy is a level-headed, responsible young man he'd probably be fine in one.

I am looking forward to doing the maintenance.. in all reality I want one as a DD as stock as possible and the other I want to tastefully mod it. So getting two more than likely. I am just excited all around and giddy as can be.. like a kid in the candy store right now!

Bear in mind that these cars are maintenance cars, so you'll HAVE to work on it or go broke paying others to do it for you...

One more thing I've got to say, I don't know your son, but this is typically not the car for a first-time driver. Kids, (even most of us adults) tend to get a little heavy footed when they're (we're) sitting behind the wheel of a sporty car. Add a turbo to that and many times it's a recipe for disaster.

Welcome to the club. You'll enjoy it here. :)

On the other hand, if your boy is a level-headed, responsible young man he'd probably be fine in one.

Could not agree more. If you're not ready to do all the major repairs yourself, I would focus on a good running one and just get a paint job, the interiors you could probably do yourself. It definetly gets really $$$ to have someone else do the mechanicals and needless to say very frustrating if its not done right. Been there done that, not a mechanic either so again, I would encourage you to get a dependable, good running starter 'quest, get to know the car then go crazy with a project one down the road. I've been working on mine for 3 years and still have 2 years to go. But good luck and welcome to the family.

P.S. this is not a car for a teenager.

If you want a reliable daily it can be done, but almost all of the systems on this car run differently than they would in other cars.

I daily mine and its very reliable, but ive gone completely through it from the ground up and have a solid (i mean very solid) understanding of how everything on this car works and why things do what they do...

BY NO MEANS trying to discourage you, just trying to help you have reasonable expectations.

that being said. If you take time, stay motivated, and stick with it, you can quickly figure everything out. I figured it out for myself as a 19/20 year old with a high motivation and sound mechanical base. So surely you would have no problem with it. There are a few good resources on the web (including this site) that will help guide you.

Also check out Starquestgarage.com and its manuals that you can download free of charge.

Edited by Frenchi934

Thank you all for the input, I really do plan on learning this car in and out. I have plenty of time to devote to it also. So when the certain car comes a long I am sure I will be asking tons and tons of questions in the near future!

Again thanks for the insight!