fuel problem

akauf

So since last weekend the starion has been cutting out briefly for some reason. I have a wide band and as the car dies for a moment the gauge displays dashes aka completely lean, no fuel at all.

fuel is cutting out for less than a second in most cases and I haven't identified any patterns of it having to do with the car being warmed up or not, rpms, vac, boost or throttle position.

However, I'm going to contradict myself a bit here, it doesn't do it at idle and at times under full boost it wont have this issue. Could be a fluke but it definitely doesn't do it at idle.

as quickly as it cuts in and out I'm fairly certain its the injectors shutting on and off for some reason. If it were the fuel pump or a clog limiting pressure at times I feel it would be running leaner or going lean more gradually where it is more like a switch. Also when it cuts out for longer periods of time my tach is not dropping quickly or jumping around so I believe the signal is fine and it is not related to the pick up in the dist. Could be wrong though

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Watch the video on post 8. If the ics idle switch is stuck in the closed throttle position, or the wire is shorted to ground the ecu will cut the fuel off under some conditions. The idle switch wire is in the rear plug that goes to the isc motor.

http://www.starquest...1

Edit, crap, bad video link.

Edited by StarquestRescue

not sure which wire is disconnected but it was either the idle switch wire broken and shorting against the exposed isc motor wire or vise versa.

I'll have to re-wire it here soon. between this and my temp sensor wire breaking off in a similiar fashion my cold start is pretty crappy.

Still didnt expect tose wires to just pop out like that. I tested the ics and inspected that wiring within the year and it didnt look that fragile then.