smoke at idle, surge under acceleration

I have done searches and will try what i have found:

change pcv with OEM

Here's what happened - I changed my plugs (NGK BPR7ES 5534) today added an MSD blaster 2 coil and swapped out a cracked turbo untake hose.

My SQ is an '89 unmodified at stock boost- except msd coil. Car starts to smoke when warm and alot of it...my hoses are hooked up exactly like before.

My question is what is the best gap for spark plugs with a stock set-up: my book says .039 - .042 - i tried this first went out and car ran bad so regapped to .035 and car was better - that's when smoking began

Any ideas as to why the car surges like it wants to go but won't maintain constant pull. (maybe still wrong gap)

Thanks

Edited by Heatmiser

Smoke is white I believe it's fuel...l Doesn't smell or dissipate like coolant, only starts smoking when car is warm and fans kick on. Turbo seems to be very sound. Car actually idles very good maybe a little high 1100rpm. Don't know compression numbers yet, haven't gotten that far.

Car still has precat. Have bought a TEP D.P. for it, should here the end of the week.

I know that the stock boost gauge is unreliable but what should a stock quest boost to? Mine hits 7or 8

What is the proper spark plug gap?

White smoke is coolant after its warmed up. You can put a rag over it and let it collect some fumes then sniff and see if its a sweet odor. It could be some left over oil still being burnt you just have to watch your coolant level and check the oil after you drive it to see if there is any on the dipstick.

Its not that the stock gauge isn't reliable, its that its a guess and it was a guess of a stock only setup.

Drive it for ten miles or so, let it get heated up and after you get back home, pull out the spark plugs and look at them. If you have a coolant leak like a crack in the head then the plug for that cylinder will look different.