Burton - cant PM ya so here

ColdScrip

Hey Burton - another body question again. I am not sure how to go about painting my next car. If I want to paint the door jams and i plan to paint the engine bay what is the best way to do this?

1. Paint the engine bay then the rest of the car without doing the door jambs

2. Paint the "shell" of the car and paint the fenders, front end etc off the car

3. Paint the engine bay and jambs then put everything (cept airdam bumper etc. ) on and paint the car.

The issue with #3 is potential overspray.

Thanks for your time man.

Planning to PM but says i cant Pm Burton - so I guess if anyone else has some thoughts feel free to chime in.

Edited by ColdScrip

I say go with #3 and #2 combined. Basically paint the entire shell with the exception of the outer body panels. Paint anything that will be covered by a removable body panel (doors, fenders, hood, spoilers, ect) and paint the inside of the body and engine bay and underneath all together, then paint the inside of the removed body panels and then fit onto car. There is a round masking foam that is used in door and hood and trunk jams to prevent over spray. I am sure Burton or one of the other pro body guys will chime in and confirm or reject what I have told you, but that is how Ive done it in the past.

BC_99

There's 100 ways to do it, and if you ask enough body guys, eventually you'll hear them all LOL. It doesn't mean they are right or wrong, you just have to figure out which way will work best for your project.

My first question is what color? if it's a metallic, cany or pearl color, you will want to paint as much of the exterior of the car as you can with it all assembled. That way you know your metallics will lay out consistantly from panel to panel. For this, I would basically do what BC said, and deffinately use the foam door jamb tape, or at least roll tape it.

If its a solid color, you can do it all apart, but make sure to paint all the pieces at the same time, or at least the paint you can see from the outside. Try not to split up the painting of the outside parts because a color stirred up today, might look a little diffrerent from the same color stirred up in a couple of weeks, even if it's from the same can.

Oh, and overspray on number 3 is not an issue if you cover the stuff with plastic sheeting, or spray on an overspray protection.

I guess I'll have to go clear my PMs LOL.