y all the smoke?another bad turbo?

I'm at a loss here i have been fighting with my car for over a month now finally got it to start two weeks ago and completely filled a 16 bay shop full of smoke within 2 minutes. Found the turbo to be full of oil....got anther turbo both used, new one was allot less used. Both td05's first one had a super 16 spool new one just plain td05 and my luck would have it same problem no difference. I'm new with turbos not with cars but i had to angle the turbo with the oil return (horizontal) being just barely facing up be causing my turbo to fill up with oil to the point that it intrudes into the charge side of the turbo? Edited by pintos86quest

The oil drain must be pointed down, any oil back pressure will blow oil right out both seals they are not made to seal in pressure like that, the oil draining from the cartridge is just out a big hole in the bottom and the drain can't have any restriction. Doing that would make a new turbo leak oil and that will void its warranty too. Was your smoke from oil or coolant? Where in North Carolina are you, maybe there is a member close to you.

I'm at a loss here i have been fighting with my car for over a month now finally got it to start two weeks ago and completely filled a 16 bay shop full of smoke within 2 minutes. Found the turbo to be full of oil....got anther turbo both used, new one was allot less used. Both td05's first one had a super 16 spool new one just plain td05 and my luck would have it same problem no difference. I'm new with turbos not with cars but i had to angle the turbo with the oil return (horizontal) being just barely facing up be causing my turbo to fill up with oil to the point that it intrudes into the charge side of the turbo?

you can turn the compressor housing by removing the lock pin. you want the return line straight down

is it a actual mitsu turbo or ebay? some ebay turbos require a oil feed resistor, otherwise you will blow the oil seals out, which can cause it to blow oil into the exhaust and intake

I'm from Goldsboro, NC an hour east of Raleigh actually about right in the middle of there and New Bern. Both turbos were take offs from eclipses with a ported factory quest ex. housing yeah i found the lock pin as soon as a mounted the turbo and saw i needed to roll it over but i also think figuring out the lock pin kinda got me in the spot i got myself in with now a smaller turbo than what i started with i really should have known this i kinda feel like a dumb*** I've worked on car since i was 15 as a career so i welded up a new turbo neck and got the oil return pointed down yay! so hopefully tomorrow she will be alive.Thanks for the help guys this has been the best car forum experience i have had normally i would have just been bashed for asking a question or told to search for an answer so i can honestly say i would be glad to be a part of the starquest club. thank you

No catch can just goes into the oil pan factory set up. I tried her out today first time since spinning the turbo to were the return is as far down as possible for the setup I'm running which is almost strait down. Still have some smoke not near as much don't know if it's residual from what oil was still in the intercooler or not (i was in a hurry neighbor has a new born like to be kinda respectful with my 3'' open down pipe it was already 8 at night) but there wasn't a 1/4 of the oil in the charge side of the turbo that there was before actually poured out when i took the intake tube off, still some though, i might be having to get another turbo again.... hope not. so i guess tomorrow will be just another page in the book.once again and always thanks for the help and the advice everybody can't wait to be an on the road running member.

You have mentioned some things that don't make sense maybe its a typo but you have mentioned S16G, TD05, Conquest, Eclipse & No catch can just goes into the oil pan.

An Eclipse never used a TD05 turbine shaft, they used a TD05H shaft which has a slighly larger turbine wheel otherwise its the same as a TD05. A Conquest only came with a TD05. You can't use a TD05H shaft in a Conquest stock turbine housing because the wheel is a little to big and it won't fit. Something else must have been done.

You say no catch can so where does this hose into the pan come from? You CAN NOT just take a hose from the valve cover and connect it to the oil pan and if that's what you have done there's why you have oil pushing out everywhere and you dipstick must really be tight.

Some info is missing or misunderstood.

You need a catch can. You must also use only an OEM PCV valve, NO AFTERMARKET. Stock it was connected like this. The can mounted to the side of the air filter can.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/oilsep.gif

Edited by Indiana

its a ported ex. housing I thought that I mentioned that already the way the lines were when I got it was the feed line from the filter housing to the turbo and return strait to the oil pan from the turbo I just put it back the way it was I didn't have nothing to go off of but that and to answer the question it is an h I just didn't know that I needed to put that up there

You haven't put your oil drain to the pan where the separator drain went ? Its way too small. If someone put on a new large barb in the pan that's ok. You still have to use an OEM PCV valve and they are a darker gray/charcoal look. The non OEM valves will not seal out boost from the crankcase.

where would it be if it was still in the engine bay and i have over looked it there is a big empty space under the air filter is that where it was at and it has a big line all the way down till it gets to the oil pan then to a reducer then to oil pan

Sounds more like they ran the hose from the pan over under the air filter and left it laying there?

That space under the air filter can down below and behind the headlight was a big plastic can with charcoal in it that filtered the fumes from the gas tank and they were sucked back in the hose in front of the turbo.

The stock separator is about the size of a soup can but a little shorter, painted black and it bolted to the side of the air filter can. Its probably gone.

There's a plastic hose barb stuck in the frame rail under the air can, its just a water drain from the air filter can should any get in there.

Well my wife bought me a parts car a few months ago. It has the factory filter canister with the oil catch can that I need to get the turbo oil return line right. So hopefully that will get my car up and running right, because I can't wait to prove to my wife that the quest will eat her 350z alive at the track lol. I took the turbo with me to work today to tear it down and check it for metal. It looked pretty clear of metal shavings and scratches so i cleaned her up and put her back together. I'm going to put it back on tomorrow and empty the oil out of the inter-cooler and see if she is going to run right. I got a Schneider hydraulic cam and I'm not sure how rough the idle is going to be just with the cam. So its going to be hard to determine if it has a problem or if that's how its supposed to idle with the cam.

it want let me post pictures yet but I'll try to get the pics up. well i just tried to attach a pic of before i pull the motor shows the lines i got to size it down it's too large to post up here but i got to be at work at 7:30 in the morning and finish watching the American chopper i should have up by about 7 tomorrow night but the oil catch can is gone and don't have one in the spare parts collection so i guess i got to make it work with what i got.

i was just thumbing through the service manual and saw that the return line was going into the timing cover not the oil pan. I'm guessing this is what my problem is, my return is running to the spout coming out of the oil pan that is supposed to be the return for the oil catch can. I think the reduction in size is just enough to restrict the the oil flow enough to back up and push through the oil seals in the turbo. Hoping for the best going to reroute tomorrow and RE-EMPTY the inter-cooler AGAIN!!!! and hope i will be an on the road member. Thanks for the help and input.

yeah I guess everybody miss understood where I was running my line. The guy i bought it from finally called me back we had some strong word after i gave him an extra $300 on his asking price so he could buy his girlfriend a engagement ring to help her not think about his other girlfriend who i had to use against him after three months of not receiving the title for the car. Long story short he's mad at me.... but i did get the title after four months of him having been paid for the car.Back on subject he had it ran there but had put a restricter in the feed line to make it work when he had it. That explained allot about y it was ran like it was he kept the feed line. Needless to say this dude has cause me about 4 years worth of migraines. Edited by pintos86quest