Joining the air force interest

apedog

So I think I might be joining the air force and not just because they say it the easiest one lol Its just where im at right now, its like why not. Free college after your in for 36 months and thats really the kicker right there but I wanna be doing something mechanical wise to jets or helicopters, just seems like something I would be interested in. Im probably gonna be a calling a recruiter later today and set some stuff up. But has anyone joined here? Id love to hear some tips and what not.

I say do it. My daughter went in after high school and loves the Air Force. Right now she is in Turkey and has been in a lot of countries. This is her sixth year. My father was in for 26 years and retired early. I tried to enlist but health issues kept me out. You can't beat the benefits of college and buying a home. The job market is so bad you would be lucky to get a job at Mcdonalds. You're right it has the easiest basic training and the best bases. Go for it.

Just be prepared for a long waiting list. They're downsizing majorly in the AF atm ( all abroad actually ) - also keep in mind, it's service before self. You may have to go open general/mechanical/electrical. I'm still highly considering enlisting once my green card comes through.

i was going to join but i had better options open up for me, ive been to meps in pittsburg twice already and you may be put at pitt to, heres some tips i learned from my recuiter.

1. pack small, theres a metal detector and xray when you enter the meps building and its a pain to put everything back in if they decide to search, dont bring a alarm clock, the do a 4am wake up call and the wires and whatnot in them look bad going though the xray.

2. bring a laptop to hotel if you want, best way to kill time if you know noone there, its what i did.

3. hide your vaulables, phone walet ect. some roommates will steal your stuff.

4 if you get a airforce shirt from your recuiter or elseware dont where it to meps, they give them to people who violate dress code(drugs, beer, sex on shirt) you may not have done anything wrong but they don't all know that.

5. dress decent, you will see alot of people in gym shorts and t-shirts, maybe not this time of year, but kackys and a basic solid color or dress shirt is fine.

6. keep ears open at all time and aware, they dont know your name so you get called "hey" "sir" "mam" alot.

7. dont lie, even if your recuiter tells you two, theres a wavier for everything short of missing a limb and murder, my recruiter had me lying to them and if i was to get hurt where they would have to pull my med records id be screwed. though they dont hair test you so lying about drugs you can get away with, nor do i care if you do if its only maryjane.

8. bring snacks, its 3$ a pop and small bag of chips in there vending and gift shop.

9. DONT FORGET A STATE ID you need one to get into meps building and to process, high school ids dont work.

theres always more to say but that covers the majority of it and this is all experiance from the pitt meps

What do you want to know? Im an 11yr Aerospace Propulsion Craftsman. (fancy way to say Jet Engine Mechanic :lol:) They recently dropped the shred out for us and our field of opportunity just went from big to gigantic. If its got a gas turbine engine, we can work it.

i'm in the army right now! if your going to join, dont wait, seriously, the entire military is downsizing and jobs are going away fast. even the army is cutting 40k soldiers by 2012, no joke. and they are changing the requirements to join, all sorts of stuff. it's not easy anymore, you better be able to qualify for a security clearance! also if you join the army, it's the only branch that lets you choose your job! and it's a cake walk through basic seriously. it was a joke and i was suprised even cry babies passed! haha. i'm a radio retrans op and Satellite communications op in the army and the job isn't bad. honestly other then deployments it is great pay for how much you actually WORK. not just being there, actually working. 6:30 to 4pm a day and i make almost 50k a year. ( plus i only work about 3 hours of actual time within that, hour and 30 mins for breakfast, hour and 30 mins for lunch too )!

and for what the person said above me - waivers are gone now! and don't lie aswell. but yeah there is no more "waivers" because the military don't need you like they used to

also meps don't give two s**** what you clothes you wear.

Phinko thats the job I was kinda what I was leaning towards. I just thought that would be so cool to do. I just am tired of working temp jobs because no other place will hire me but I want to go to Penntech up in williamsport for the ford program but thats 50k ill have to pay back. Why not just have that for free :P or at least lowered ha But still I still need to take the asvab and really see what is good for me. But im definitely leaning towards something with propulsion, a career that im gonna enjoy waking up for. Not mcdonalds or a warehouse job packing things in boxes :mellow:

Well if standing beneath a 20ft flame / 40,000lb's of thrust performing a leak check while your teeth are vibrating out of your head is your sort of thing, than this job is for you.

If keeping your cool in the crew station while you experience multiple compressor stalls that seem like dynamite strapped to the wing going off is your thing, than this job is for you.

If meeting a jet on the hammer head tucking 15x 2000lb JDAM's so you can troubleshoot/repair a failed throttle system only to see it return 18hrs later completely empty is your thing.......well, you know..... ;)

Working 12-14hr shifts 6mo straight through the weekends only to leave covered in JP-8, 7808, and salty sweat deposits is among many of the experiences I wouldnt trade for the world. It falls inline somewhere behind a wounded infantry man hobbling up on crutches telling us thanks for keeping them in the air. Amazing what 120,000lb's of thrust, less than 500ft off the deck will do to the enemy.

I love my job, and I love serving my country. I recommend you strongly consider it.

Edited by phinko

well im a jet mechanic, crewchief on the f-22 raptor. Phinko works more in a shop if thats what you are looking for, albeit they have a lot to do. I work the flightline. Ive been a DCC for years, i jump in the seat, do engine runs, afterburner ops checks, inspect the plans, replace broken parts, troubleshoot, ect...basically we make stink happen. But...we are subject to cold tempertures, long shifts, and TWO air forces. theres the political side, then theres the flightline...two different worlds. But with all that being said, im not happy where the military as a whole is going. And im getting out after my current enlistement. And the air force, has a heap of trouble coming in a few years. struggling aircraft programs, little money and budget cuts...

but its an honorable thing to do to serve your country. If you enlist, get everything your recruiter says in writing. Anything about bonuses ect,

Edited by spoolinturbo

also dont pass up the army without getting some info! i know the air force has nice bases in great places, but the army isn't so bad, plus i got a 30k bonus for 4years of my job! and the army gives 150k bonus if you go special forces!

( not trying to lean you away from the air force or anything, just saying in any case the army is a viable option too )

Edited by DSMvirus1

I agree, the army is a valid option. I had a brother in the Airborne and another brother was a plane captain in the Navy. Just PM me if you have any question about my experience in the Air Force. Its obvious that its 180 of what spoolin has experienced. But then again hes a crew chief. :P