torque tube

mhenneboehle

There is a splined coupling in there that needs grease, else it wears and loosens up over time. You have to take it apart to grease it, while you're in there it's good practice to replace the pinion seal. About a year ago I got a pinion seal, axel shaft seals and a new spline coupling from Southwest Mitsubishi in DFW. The extension shaft is no longer available.

Scott

If you haven't diagnosed it on a lift or up in the air, I would do some more troubleshooting. It could be motor/trans/torque tube mounts. Otherwise, the torque tube and rear end should be dropped to disassemble and see what's wrong. No need to replace something that is just fine. Read through the SOS stuff by PQ to help you and a FSM is a must if you don't already have one.

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=983

Cheers!

KT

Torque tubes (extension shaft mainly) and spline coupler are pretty common of wearing out if not maintained right. My car had 126k on it when both mine went. Like the guy above me said, the extension shafts are obsolete and cannot be had anymore, the spline couplers are still available but are coming from Japan now. I was suppose to get the last one in the US (north carolina) but it ended up coming from Japan and took a lot longer. Ask for express shipping if your in serious need of the spline coupler since it "could" take 45 days or more to get it.