Not building boost

sburris8

Okay, so this car does have very high miles but it runs very strong under vac, but when the car TRIES to go into boost it’s a whole different story. It has been sitting for a while but I have recently been working on it, I parked this car because of this problem (IT IS THAT FUSTRATING).

When going into boost you can hear the turbo spooling, see the boost gauge read about 5psi and try to bulid boost but NO pull and it sounds like the boost is going straight to the exhaust. The car kinda putters and will continue to do that until I switch gears. BUT there has been times where I will stay in the throttle and it will catch boost and take off like it is suppose to.

PLEASE HELP ME GUYS

I have replaced the distributor, vac advance, deleted the boost controller and replaces turbos with different eternal wastegates . Any other options?

I read a post on here that sounded like my problem, it ended up being exaust manifold or hot side of the turbo??

Okay, so this car does have very high miles but it runs very strong under vac, but when the car TRIES to go into boost it’s a whole different story. It has been sitting for a while but I have recently been working on it, I parked this car because of this problem (IT IS THAT FUSTRATING).

When going into boost you can hear the turbo spooling, see the boost gauge read about 5psi and try to bulid boost but NO pull and it sounds like the boost is going straight to the exhaust. The car kinda putters and will continue to do that until I switch gears. BUT there has been times where I will stay in the throttle and it will catch boost and take off like it is suppose to.

PLEASE HELP ME GUYS

I have replaced the distributor, vac advance, deleted the boost controller and replaces turbos with different eternal wastegates . Any other options?

I read a post on here that sounded like my problem, it ended up being exaust manifold or hot side of the turbo??

I would check the Exhaust Manifold for cracks. I know of many manifolds that have cracked and have personally had two of the stock manifolds crack on me. When the manifold is cracked the turbo spools up but looses its boost through the crack, vaguely speaking. I would personally check the manifold top and bottom for cracks. I've known the manifold to crack a lot on the fourth exhaust port (the one closest towards the firewall). Hope this helps.

Honestly check all the nuts holding the turbo down. I have seen this happen and have done it as well. 5psi with barley any pull. The turbo was lifting off of the manifold. All my nuts had backed off and the turbo was sitting on the manifold.

If not check the basics. Vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks. Vac advance. Timing. It should be one of those.