LSD Differential / Model Year Compatibility

OK, I would be grateful if someone can confirm or deny some information. Thank you in advance for everyone's assistance in this.

I understand that the intercooled models all came with 8 inch LSD and that the internals are interchangeable as an assembly, but not as individual parts. I also understand the torque tube stays with the differential being swapped in.

1. The 87 and prior INTERCOOLED LSD case will fit all the non-intercooled Starquests, correct?

And assuming that the 4-lug hubs are retained, then the non-intercooled CV-axles must be retained.

2. The 88/89 case will NOT fit into the 87 and prior NON-intercooled Starquests with stock CV-shafts/4-lug hub flanges, yes?

This has to do with the cases for the 87 being larger than the 88/89, yes?

3. The 88/89 LSD differential casing will fit all intercooled cars including 87 and prior ones, yes or no?

4. If using the 5-lug hubs/hub flanges from an intercooled (flat or widebody) then then any of the 87-89 LSD (or any prior LSD) will fit, yes?

5. Are both the 87 (and prior) and 88/89 LSD units equal in strength and design despite internal differences?

6. What is the going price for the 87-prior LSD differential (whole diff as a unit)? What about for the 88/89 LSD?

Edited by Yokohama

OK, I would be grateful if someone can confirm or deny some information. Thank you in advance for everyone's assistance in this.

I understand that the intercooled models all came with 8 inch LSD and that the internals are interchangeable as an assembly, but not as individual parts. I also understand the torque tube stays with the differential being swapped in.

1. The 87 and prior INTERCOOLED LSD case will fit all the non-intercooled Starquests, correct?

And assuming that the 4-lug hubs are retained, then the non-intercooled CV-axles must be retained.

The non intercooled 4 4 bolt axles are longer but will work.

2. The 88/89 case will NOT fit into the 87 and prior NON-intercooled Starquests with stock CV-shafts/4-lug hub flanges, yes?

This has to do with the cases for the 87 being larger than the 88/89, yes?

The case will fit but the 4 bolt axles are smaller diameter at the splined end. The 6 bolt axles and hubs must be used.

3. The 88/89 LSD differential casing will fit all intercooled cars including 87 and prior ones, yes or no?

The case fits, but must be used with the 6 bolt hubs and axles.

4. If using the 5-lug hubs/hub flanges from an intercooled (flat or widebody) then then any of the 87-89 LSD (or any prior LSD) will fit, yes?

The 88-89 diff must be used with the 6 bolt axles and hubs.

5. Are both the 87 (and prior) and 88/89 LSD units equal in strength and design despite internal differences?

No. The axles are the weak link. The 4 bolt axles can be snapped at the splines end.

6. What is the going price for the 87-prior LSD differential (whole diff as a unit)? What about for the 88/89 LSD?

87-prior 0-$50, 88-89 0-$75 for the diff 75-150 with axles and inner and outer hubs.

Edited by StarquestRescue

Try and post some thing useful once and a wile . :lol:

BURN! :lol:

Are you just trying to replace the internals on your diff? Why not just save yourself the trouble and replace the whole thing. There's plenty of them available out there.

If you want to upgrade, hunt for a six bolt swap.