any mazda expects out there?

JohnnyWadd

Its possible to use zetec tappets in place of the HLAs but you need to have your cams reground to use them. Is the motor sludged or has it been sitting awhile?

the oil passages in mazda motors are like pinholes. that's why they eat cams and such so easily.

Its possible to use zetec tappets in place of the HLAs but you need to have your cams reground to use them. Is the motor sludged or has it been sitting awhile?

Its not sludged that i know of. I have yet to pull the valve cover. It has clean Gastrol 20/50 in it.

Just use proma mlb8 oil additive, if I replaced lifters in all the noisey Mazda and Mitsubishi engines that come in I'd get nothing else done.

Normally though a flush and oil change will fix them, did my partners car yesterday (2.0L V6 Lantis) without the additive (all our suppliers are closed due to an earthquake destroying the central city) and after 1/2 and hour of idling they came right. They will make noise again about 2000km before oil change is due.

If its dirty a few guys have changed to oil to atf then let it sit and idle for alittle to clean it out. Don't drive or run it at high rpms with atf in it though.

I forgot that you can use 99 miata solid lifters too but you still need to regrind the cams.