computer guys

fijiblueman

last june my wife bought me a dell computer and i have loved it. A few days ago it wouldnt connect to the internet. when i troubleshoot it shows the problem found was "the default gateway is not available". Now my internet is through charter and my ethernet cable goes to my wireless router. from there 2 laptops 3 desktops my kids dsiS and the wii are all connected. everything still has internet but my p.c. the only thing i havent tried is connecting the ethernet cable directly to my p.c. Any advice is welcome guys. thanks in advance

Paul

First, restart the PC. Then check that the wireless switch is on.

Then make sure its connected to the correct wireless network, try disconnecting from it and reconnecting.

Second, turn off the laptop and the wireless switch, connect it to the router via an eithernet cable, boot it back and see if you get a connection that way.

If you do, reinstall your wireless driver. go to dell.com download the latest wireless driver available. DO NOT use the CDs that came with the PC, those drivers are old.

If you do not get an internet connection directly, do the following:

Assuming you have UAC enable, open the start menu, type in "cmd" in the seach and hit CTRL + Enter. This will open the CMD window in admin mode.

Then type in "ipconfig /release" and after it does that, "ipconfig /renew"

If your internet connection still does not work, restart the PC to Safemode with networking. You can do so by hitting the F8 key before the windows logo comes up. Connect ones again to your router via the eithernet cable and see if you get a connection

Post your results here and we can go from there

Edited by Killtodie

Every time I connect I need to wake up the dial-up connection then turn on my DSL at the same moment the dial prompt appears,

I don't initiate the dial-up modem, it just has to be open before the DSL is recognized.

I think it is some sort of "Microsoft Windows Vista" related problem.

Edited by Metric-man

Have you tried repairing the connection?

On the bottom right near your clock you have that PC monitor that blinks showing the status of your connection. Right click, click repair. See if that works.

If not - try this.

Start - run - type in cmd and click ok. A screen with dos prompt pops up

type ipconfig - it will bring up what seems like mumbo jumbo but you'll see a part that says default gateway. If it says something other than something like 192.168 etc then type ipconfig /release - wait a moment - then ipconfig /renew

Those usually fix the issue. If it persists - scan your PC for spyware/malware.

thanx for the info guys. yeah fanta i did and thats when it said the gateway wasnt fixed. i just got done working graveyard so imma gunna finish my beer and go to bed and try this in about five hours. thanx a million

oh and its windows 7 not vista if that matters. i thought vista was a pos

Paul

Edited by fijiblueman

I've had problems with some laptops running windows 7 connecting over wireless - one thing to try is to go to "Network and Sharing Center," then go to "Change adapter settings." Right click on the wireless adapter, and disable it. Wait about 5-10 seconds, then re-enable the adapter. It should try to connect to your network again.

• 1 month later...

the internet connection should be id'd as being a wireless connection,

i just had a problem some thing like yours with the wifes pc,, i had a wireless card but was useing it on a cable,, the cable went bad so i try'd useing the wireless connection, it would not find the wireless card or connection untill i remove'd the card reinstall'd the software and then retart'd pc,, then shut down install'd card ,after the sec restart it work'd fine

seems the wireless drivers had gotten corupt'd and would not refresh as long as the system said the drivers were there already