engine bay

adookie02

ok guys i need some help from the club. i wanna clean up my engine bay BUT unfortunately i have emmissions in my state (it blows)... so i would like to know what i can remove while still bein able to pass emmissions. its an 87 quest.. i need proper locations for boost guage bov vac advance and all that good stuff. i went through the faq's but diagrams are for 86 and 89 idk which one would apply to me... so hopefully someone who has done eliminations can help a fellow quester out.. THANKS IN ADVANCE

well nfirstoff what year is your quest? if its 88-89 then 89 diagrams apply to yours. if its a 86-87 then u want 86-87 diagrams. what all do you want to remove ? boost gauge is simple if you have a dremel to hollow out your gauge orig boost gauge area out to install an aftermarket . on your states emmissions do you have to get your car inspected every year or randomlllly?

I was just thinking about the same thing. So far I have converted to manual steering (parts, labor, + steering coupler came to about $800, and I think the new coupler didnt last a couple months), eliminated my AC (the giant AC bracket really took up a lot of space), and converted to a clutch fan. Since my state doesnt have emissions, I plan on removing my EGR system soon. Most states that do emissions dont do it on cars that are 25 years or older, so this could be the last time you are required to go to emissions. So you could pass the test then eliminate your EGR possibly. Also, you can eliminate your EGR system and still pass emissions by running water injection (good luck with that lol).

Near the firewall, there is some ABS related items that can be removed if you dont want ABS.

I thinking converting to an exposed air filter would clean up the engine bay decently.

You could re-locate the battery to the rear of the car (Im currently brainstorming that idea).

I think converting to MPI cleans up the engine bay quite a bit (though, converting to MPI is no small task). Mostly I think this is due to relocating the outlet of the inter-cooler to the same side as the throttle body, so technically you could still get the same result without going MPI.

You can remove the secondary air cleaner located on I think the valve cover.

Ive seen 'Quests with one or both turbo heat-shields removed, though, they are there for a reason.

Well other than what Ive mentioned I am very curious to know about the other ways to clean up an angine bay as well.

-Chris P

its an 87 quest and noi couldnt find anything for that year.... my state requires every 2 years for inspection.... thought this august passed a new law stating on emmission will be overviewed but again i wanna remove everything i dont need except abs kinda need that in the winter

Yes the ABS is very useful in the winter. However, just want to point out, these cars only have ABS in the rear. So, it will help keep your rear end from sliding out, but will not really help you steer your front wheels. Anyway, maybe you can move that ABS stuff to the rear?

According to this link;

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Inspections/VehiclesExempt.htm#Historic

Your car requires an emissions test every 2 years, and is exempt in 2 years (once it hits 25 years old). So, you will have to go to emissions once more only.

dude my car actually came from nj orig.ours were probly sold at the same dealership .

my car has abs but it doesnt help worth crap in the winter. u could remove the a/c,cc,relocate the battery to the rear,takeoff a/c condensor in the front,all un-needed a/c hoses can go,get colored vac lines and replace all your lines with a colors hose to give it a better look,push the core support and rad slightly forward to make your engine compartment slightly bigger, after your emissions is done remove all that crap underneath the airbox and replace the airbox with a cold air system useing a 1g mas.

Before you start cleaning up your engine house you have to REALLY think about this. Are you going to be driving the Starquest in the HOT summer days and are you going a lot of interstate driving. If you answers are yes, then, do you want to sweat your buns off W/O AC and do you want a numb right foot and heel driving long distances W/O cruise control?

If you like creature comforts (or ESPECIALLY if your wife/GF does) then I'd stop and think real hard before eliminating the AC, its hoses, tubing, condensor,relays and it's vacuum tubing. ;) ;)

Another thing to consider is the AC control computer has some excellent features about controlling the radiator fans & A/C pusher fan that the straight radiator thermosensors don't. I know that the FSM says the AC on and the cooling system radiator primary fan thermosensor temp ON settings are the same; but if I have my AC on in AUTO, the radiator primary fan comes on at a slightly lower (1/8 inch lower) temperature as read at the dash, than it does when it's controlled strictly by the thermosensors with the AC off. Grant and I found this out a couple of weeks ago when we were trouble shooting why my AC condenser pusher fan wasn't working. When in the AC Auto mode, the rad primary fan consistantly came on at a lower temp than when the AC was off. :huh: I'm gonna post the above in another post so this does not jack your post.

I know of a couple of Starquesters who "cleaned up" their engine house right after they bought their Starquest. And these Starquests have become pretty modified.

Guess what? After the heat of this summer they are reinstalling the AC system. ;)

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot