Can a bad 87 igniter cause the car to run like crap when hot?

JessN16

The 87 that has the bad igniter (but not for long -- part came today) is starting to run like junk when hot. Hesitates, won't go smoothly down the road, and I can smell a lot of unburned gas on acceleration. This is ONLY when hot, however.

I was wondering if weak spark from the igniter (essentially the same problem that caused the no-start condition) is the culprit here.

However, I'm aware of two other potential problem areas: One would be the engine coolant temp sensor on the block. The other would be the HKS-style BOV. I don't have a non-BOV hardpipe to swap out (and I obviously can't run down the road with the hood up, trying to look in at the BOV), but before I go looking for a new temp switch or try to block the BOV, I was wondering if the igniter could be the culprit.

Now that I've run across the problem, I remember this being a problem before the car broke down 2 years ago. It's just now re-appeared.

Jess

I know when I had a smell of gas, it was my BOV that was loose, but it never had a problem ****ing and getting..

But I also had a problem with the Knock box, that would cause my car to run like crap and just die with no warning signs.

also check and/or replace the coil, on the trip to PF05, I had a new accel coil dieing, and loosing spark when hot

I know this isn't definitive, but I've had two coils (one factory, one Bosch Red) in the car and it does the same thing with both coils.

Jess

I would have to say no to the ignitor. That's just me though. You smell gas, it's gas. Test the CTS before changing it.

Would you not get the smell of gas, though, if all the gas wasn't being burned off during combustion (due to weak spark)?

Jess

Jess, does the cts have the original connector on it? If it is plugged up backwards, it will run like crap when warm.

Jimmy

Jimmy,

It does not have the original connector on it, but it's been like that for years. The run-hot problem just started a few months before the igniter died 2 years ago. That's why I was thinking it might be the igniter. We'll know about the igniter one way or another by the weekend, though, because the new part came today. Thanks for sending it!

Jess