Sputtering

gabea101

Hi,

I'm new to the site but I was wondering if anyone could tell me why my 1987 Starion sometime sputters on the freeway when I get to about 75-80 mph. It usually does this on the windy days.

I have not changed the plugs or wires in years. I was going to get new ones this weekend though. Also how do I know if my turbo is working?

1st off, welcome to the site.

2nd, you are going to have to tell us a lot more about what the car is doing and what you have done to attempt to fix it before we can help you troubleshoot it.

As far as the turbo go, I'd say that if you have to ask, it isn't working. (or isn't working right)

What does your boost gauge say?

The highest the boost gage goes up to is 6 lbs. No more. This is when I'm getting on it.

What is the normal turbo reading on the gage?

I have done nothing to try and fix my starion yet. The turbo has a lock clip that is missing so its not totally sealed there. I know it needs the tune up after all these years and I will be doing this soon.

I'm not sure what you mean by "lock clip" but if you have ANY air leak at all, your car won't run right.

It just came to me.....you must be talking about the clip that holds the lid onto your air cleaner can.

I'm not sure what you mean by "lock clip" but if you have ANY air leak at all, your car won't run right.

It just came to me.....you must be talking about the clip that holds the lid onto your air cleaner can.

yes, its the air filter I was talking about. what is the turbo gage suppose to read?

it depends on what the car needs. Plus the boost depends on how much gas ur giving and a bunch of other stuff. sometimes i have no boost and sometimes my boost is way up there. but i also have a technica so that may be different there. I also have a flatty. hehe

The stock boost gauge is really unreliable. Get an aftermarket gauge. It will give you a much better reading and it will be more accurate than stock. Hope that helps you out.

I'm not sure if an 87s max boost is 6 or 8 lbs. If you are getting 6, I would think that's all you should get.

Tune it up and replace that clip then check back.

You should also check for vacuum leaks. Those hoses are 23 years old.

I'm not sure if an 87s max boost is 6 or 8 lbs. If you are getting 6, I would think that's all you should get.

Tune it up and replace that clip then check back.

You should also check for vacuum leaks. Those hoses are 23 years old.

I will start changing the vacuum hoses now. Will the local auto parts have these tubes or do I have to go to the Mitsubishi dealership?

Also where can I find a seal that goes around the sunroof glass itself?

The seal will be a dealer item IF they can dig one up.

Any parts place will have the vacuum hose. Just take a sample to make sure you get the right size. It has to be tight or it will pop off under boost.

I would suggest going to Harbor Freight Tools and picking up a cheap vacuum tester. Pull each hose off the throttle body one at a time and apply vacuum. If it doesn't hold, work your way through all of the Ts until you find the problem. I found a couple of devices with bad diaphragms that I had to replace.

If you're changing vac lines you might want to look into silicon. It holds up a lil better than rubber. Its not real expensive either. Just don't get the cheap stuff, it has a tendency to collapse with high vac levels. You need the stuff with thick walls. Just my 2 cents. Feel free to ignore, most people due.

i highly recommend you go here http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=106048

order a complete set from jolyrgr, its super high quality line in super bright colors. it is the exact size as stock so you dont have to worry about zip ties and so on.

Thanks for all the information guys. I owned this car for years now and I really want to take care of it now.

I have another question if anyone can answer it?

Under the dash by the foot pedal to the right there is a good size white wire that is cut. I immediatley put a cap on it. Does anyone know what that wire can be for?