Battery question, no-start issue

iamlew

after 2 years of replacing bullstinky I think my problem was my battery, let me know if this sounds right to you guys that know what the deal is with the cars

i have an 87 that would run for about 30-50 mins and would die (in or out of gear) and would not start for a few hours (could be on a charger, being jumped, tried push starting it once but I don't know if we got it going fast enough. I checked the battery once, bone dry, replaced it (warrantied) started right up. Few drives later same problem. Tested spark, air, gas, everything but the fuel filter and pump so far (was out doing it today) replaced the coil, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, belts, alternator (had a spare figured why not). The coil was bad though didn't seem to matter.

anyways, after losing hope and a few months going by it stopped starting at all. I was out checking the knock box when I saw my battery dead, so I took my jeep battery out and it fired right up, could that s*** battery (500 cold cranking amps lol) be my entire problem?

My only problem at this point is driving it is the only way I know to test if it's going to die/not start. And since I'll be an hour or so from my house when it finally does it, I'll have to leave it over night (most cars left on the side of the road get ticketed quick). I thought about going around the block for like 2 hours to simulate driving up and down the highway.

my other problem is I changed my oil before the last time I drove it and it is now black as it gets. I think that was from it dying and the turbo being red-hot though. Should I replace it and test or run to save a few bucks if it's just going to crap out again (I mean will 50-100 miles even cause any damage)?

Thanks a lot guys, realllllly want to get my baby going I've got 1,000 miles out of it since I bought it 2 years ago.

red hot turbo translates to red hot engine right,,http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif dude if you don't get that straighten'd out starting is the least of your troubles ,,

whats up with all the guessing you don't have a volt ohm meter,, you can't do much of any thing on this car with out one sept parts guesstapartchange

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif

The only thing I've tested as bad so far has been the coil. Everything else I've been told to check has been within specs as far as using my volt meter. Every fusible link, all the charge system, took out every wire to make sure it was clean, free of dirt/grease/rust/wear. The only thing I replaced all willy-nilly was the alternator since I was already down there and had just gotten a pretty new one for free (sure as heck looks a lot nicer, doesn't have that white speckled crap on it the ancient ones do).

I'll do the etacs soon it looks like. I realized it's non-opted so for now I'll idle it for a bit see if it won't shut down again.

I was told on this forum about a year ago that a redhot turbo was normal after heavy use (When i was driving it'd be about 35 miles uphill a day at 65 mph). I replaced the old turbo since it was shot(something blew through it and destroyed the fins on the fans, new gaskets and stuff too).

I'll start checking thermostats too then, perhaps get some of the 160/180 degree ones(w/e the old faq had said, forgot off the top of my head). I pulled the inter-cooler and stuff when an old hose cracked and blew a hole, looked good. All the fans work, look good.

My temp gauge has never been high, though if its like any other gauge in the car it's probably wrong lol.

As far as guessing, I haven't had any ideas what to even do after all the stuff I've tried, I originally went out today to double check the knockbox, and look to test for error codes, see if I couldn't get any info(didn't get around to it).

Was pleasantly surprised when it actually fired up. My theory before it quit starting was maybe it's getting to hot and shutting down, though I don't really know why it might do that, or if it even would. That and it runs fine and just kind of goes out of the blue.

The etacs would make sense though I was thinking since it's a crappy battery, something might be draining it just enough to quit running.

If you have anything else for me to poke around at let me know. I'm pretty much at a stand still until I find out if it'll keep running or not.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate any help =)